Notes from the Field

Unlocking the Secrets: A Journey of Discovery and Appreciation for the World of Research

My deep admiration for extraordinary researchers in the medical field has fueled my passion for research. Through determination and collaboration with my colleagues, I acquired foundational research skills that empowered me to run my undergraduate research projects which then birthed my first publications. With that background, I was honored with joining the ACHIEVE Training Program. ACHIEVE has provided a transformative experience for me, significantly unlocking my research potential and enhancing my research skills and knowledge in this field. This fellowship has prepared me and given me hope like a rainbow for a colorful research journey ahead.

Aligning with my passion towards adolescent health and HIV research, ACHIEVE came in handy providing crucial support for the development of my academic journey in this field. Through capacity building, ACHIEVE has connected me with wonderful mentors; Professor Pauline Byakika, Dr. Proscovia Nabunya, and Dr. Elvin Geng, who have each played an instrumental role in shaping my research journey. They have each greatly assisted me in preparing my research proposal, Effectiveness of the Facility-based Young People and Adolescent Peer Supporters (YAPS) Model on HIV-stigma and Antiretroviral therapy Adherence among Adolescents and Youth Living with HIV in Kampala, Uganda. My project has now been submitted to the IRB for approval, and I am optimistic about getting approved.

As an ACHIEVE Fellow, I also had the distinct privilege of participating in the Fogarty International LAUNCH Program Orientation hosted at the National Institute of Health in Bethesda, Maryland, USA. This experience provided me a platform to interact and make friends with other research training fellows. ACHIEVE has also provided me with opportunities to engage in various research training sessions that have enhanced my proficiency in conducting high-quality research.

Much like the radiant bloom of the cornflower which symbolizes growth and vitality, the ACHIEVE Fellowship has proven to be a transformative force in my research career. This esteemed fellowship has not only enriched my academic journey but has also illuminated my path with promising opportunities and possibilities. The fellowship has significantly enhanced my research skills, widened my outlook, and has filled me with optimism for making meaningful research contributions. The mentorship, training, and experiences of ACHEIVE are invaluable, guiding me toward continuous growth and impactful contributions in my academic and professional journey.