Dissemination & Implementation Curriculum and Competencies

Our training program is innovative on several levels. While the program is the first of its kind to focus on training for D&I research in heart, lung, blood and sleep disorders, we are also working to develop and refine a set of core D&I competencies and a model curriculum specific to D&I research.  The following is a list of D&I Competencies that were identified by Washington University faculty in 2015:

D&I Competencies by Domain

*Expertise levels: B = Beginner; I = Intermediate; A = Advanced.

NumberCompetencyExpertise*
  Section A: Definitions, Background and Rational 
A1Define and communicate D&I research terminology.B
A2 Define what is and what is not D&I research.B
A3 Differentiate between D&I research and other related areas, such as efficacy research and effectiveness research.B
A4 Identify the potential impact of disseminating, implementing and sustaining effective interventions.B
A5 Describe the range of expertise needed to conduct D&I research (e.g., mixed method experience, economic, organizational, policy, clinical).B
A6 Determine which evidence-based interventions are worth disseminating and implementing.I
A7 Assess, describe, and quantify (where possible) the context for effective D&I (setting characteristics, culture, capacity & readiness).I
A8 Identify existing gaps in D&I research.I
A9 Identify the potential impact of scaling down (aka de-implementing) an ineffective but often used intervention.I
A10 Formulate methods to address barriers of D&I research.I
NumberCompetencyExpertise*
  Section B: Theory and Approaches 
B1Describe a range of D&I strategies, models and frameworks.B
B2Identify appropriate conceptual models, frameworks, or program logic for D&I change.I
B3Identify core elements (effective ingredients) of effective interventions and recognize the risks of making modifications to these.I
B4Describe a process for designing and dissemination (planning for adoption, implementation, and sustainability during the intervention development stage).I
B5Describe the relationships between various organizational dimensions (e.g., climate, culture) and D&I research.I
B6Explain how knowledge from discipline outside health (e.g. business, marketing, and engineering) can help inform further trans-disciplinary efforts in D&I research.I
B7Identify and articulate the interplay between policy and organizational processes in D&I.I
NumberCompetencyExpertise*
  Section C: Design & Analysis 
C1Describe the core components of external validity and their relevance to D&I research.B
C2Identify common D&I measures & analytic strategies relevant for your research questions(s).B
C3Identify and measure outcomes that matter to stakeholders, adopters and implementors.I
C4Describe the applications and integration of mixed-methods (quantitative and qualitative) approaches in D&I research.I
C5Apply common D&I measures & analytic strategies relevant for your research question(s) within your model/framework.I
C6Identify possible methods to address external validity in study design reporting and implementation.I
C7List the potential roles of mediators and moderators in a D&I study.I
C8Identify and articulate the trade-offs between a variety of different study designs for D&I research.I
C9Describe how to frame and analyze the context of D&I as a complex system with interacting parts.I
C10Effectively integrate the concepts of sustainability/sustainment and the rationale behind them in D&I study design.I
C11Describe gaps in D&I measurement and critically evaluate how to fill them.I
C12Effectively explain and incorporate concepts of de-adoption and de-implementation into D&I study design.I
C13Incorporate methods of economic evaluation (e.g., implementation costs, cost-effectiveness) in D&I study design.I
C14Evaluate and refine innovative scale-up and spread methods (e.g., technical assistance, interactive systems, novel incentives and ‘pull’ strategies).I
NumberCompetencyExpertise*
  Section D: Practice-Based Consideration 
D1Describe the importance of incorporating the perspectives of different stakeholder groups (e.g., patient/family; employers, payers, healthcare settings, public organizations, community and policy makers).B
D2Describe the concept and measurement of fidelity.B
D3Articulate the strengths and weaknesses of participatory research in D&I research.B
D4Determine when engagement in participatory research is appropriate with D&I research.I
D5Describe the appropriate process for eliciting input from community-based practitioners for adapting an intervention.I
D6Identify and apply techniques for stakeholder analysis and engagement when implementing evidence-based practices.I
D7Identify a process for adapting an intervention and how the process is relevant to D&I research.I
D8Explain how to maintain fidelity of original interventions during the adaption process.I
D9Identify sites to participate in D&I studies and negotiate or provide incentives to secure their involvement.I
D10Identify and develop sustainable partnerships for D&I research.I
D11Describe how to measure successful partnerships for D&I research.I
D12Use evidence to evaluate and adapt D&I strategies for specific populations, settings, contexts, resources and/or capacities.A