Uganda’s Traditional Dances: A Celebration of Joy

Rhythmic drums. Swayed hips. Angular bending of arms, legs, and torso. Stomped feet. Fluid movements. Electric smiles.

Since my arrival in Uganda, I have been captivated by the rhythmic Ugandan dances. For example, the traditional dance performed by children from Kimaanya Primary School stands out to me. Before the performance, I was mesmerized by their attire, which showcased vibrant colors of orange, royal blue, red, and white. The striped wrappers hung loosely from their bodies with black, red, and yellow straw hair attached to their waists. While beaming with smiles and contagious energy, the children moved in unison, sweat trickling down their heads while they shared centuries’ honor, rituals, and stories through their pulsing bodies. The background music with drums and whistles guided the performers, celebrating Ugandan poetry, proverbs, and rhythm. 

Traditional Ugandan dances signify culturally important events and a range of emotions, such as love, sorrow, joy, and excitement. Moreover, dance and folk songs convey beliefs, norms, and customs and function as a powerful tool to connect with others. In Ugandan culture, dance is used for numerous reasons, such as the courtship dance from Bunyoro-Kitara and Tooro Kingdoms in Western Uganda, which is typically performed by youth as a ceremonial and cultural dance to choose partners for marriage. Similarly, the Amakondere dance in Tooro is typically performed in the presence of the King (Omukama) for entertainment. While each dance performance varies in significance and delivery, there is one common thread – a spirit of joy, love, and welcomeness that draws any spectator into the rich tapestry of Ugandan culture. Through dance, I felt a strong connection to Ugandan culture through every movement and song. As the old Ugandan proverb suggests, “Every dance is a reflection of supreme unity, dedication, passion and pride from the community.”

Consistent with my love for children, my LEAD project explores the mental health and educational needs to Ugandan children. With Dr. Keng-Yen Huang as my faculty mentor, we are developing culturally relevant materials to support the ParentCorps intervention in Kampala, Uganda. Drawing on my previous global experiences of working with youth and parents within school settings in South Africa, Zambia, Jordan, Turkey, India, and the United States, we are currently working on a co-authored manuscript to consider how trauma is conceptualized and manifested among parents in school settings. Through these initiatives, it is our goal to channel or reignite the joy that children deserve as they navigate their school and community spaces.