Root Cause

In my journey through the field of global health, particularly within refugee and migrant populations, I’ve witnessed firsthand how poverty and social determinants profoundly impact mental health.

On the first day of our visit to the Bidibidi refugee settlement, our zone was receiving its monthly food rations. The food was being distributed from a guarded compound with a fenced perimeter and armed guards. Individuals lined up calmly, waiting for their turn. Just a month prior, the food ration had been cut to about 30%, and additional limitations were put in place on who qualified for rations.

A woman with a baby wrapped around her shared that the two grocery bags she held were supposed to feed her family of eight for the next month. I worried about her children, knowing that food insecurity can hinder cognitive development and emotional well-being, leading to long-term consequences. Another young man told us how his elder brother had returned to the South Sudan border to look for farmable land. A young woman shared how she couldn’t adhere to her antiretroviral therapy (ART) because the medication made her nauseous without food. People also recounted experiences of trauma, financial instability, drug and alcohol abuse, and severe mental health crises.

Through this experience, I’ve come to understand that addressing mental health in vulnerable populations requires a holistic approach that considers these social determinants. Interventions must go beyond providing mental health services alone; they must also address the underlying issues of poverty, food insecurity, and unsafe living conditions. I truly believe that only by tackling these root causes can we hope to make a meaningful impact on mental well-being. Seeing these realities up close has deepened my commitment to advocating for comprehensive solutions that foster resilience and Subbi (hope) in these vulnerable communities.