Personal blog

I defended my doctoral thesis during a pandemic

I did a thing last week!

I started to prepare my thesis just as the pandemic started. I had to finish the draft of the third project, make it ready-to-be-submitted-to-journal and incorporate it nicely into the last main chapter in my thesis.  It would be impossible without the consistent help from my supervisor Dr. Martin. It is still vivid to me that my email inbox was always filled with his replies and we discussed over skype often. I really appreciate that I can learn so much from him.

Now I have passed my oral defense with minor corrections to the thesis. As a first-generation Ph.D.,  or even first-generation college student, I couldn’t thank enough to my parents. They give me the support and strength to chase my dreams, even though they did not even finish high school. I’m proud of myself and my parents!

Graduating during this pandemic is hard, let alone the uncertainty due to the hiring freeze, visa ban, and potential racist attacks against Chinese nationals. Luckily I got all the supports and encouragement from my family, friends, and mentors. Hopefully, this world will get better soon!

Let’s all stay positive and optimistic. Things will get better.