After my books Cyborgs in Latin America and Latin American Science Fiction, I have turned my attention to the ways in which contemporary Latin American writers like Álvaro Bisama, Mike Wilson, Mariana Enríquez and Samanta Schweblin have cultviated a peculiarly Latin American approach to the weird, both as a genre influenced by the pulp horror writers of the early 20th century as well as a critical and philosophical approach to contemporary realities of neoliberalism, race, ecological disaster and the remnants of dictatorship. My current project, Weirding Latin America, examines the ways that these writers grapple with the continually evolving “weird” realities in their particular countries, in the Latin American region and across the globe

I have also published extensively on the ways that contemporary writers have developed strategies of sampling and mashup borrowed from hip hop and continue to examine the ways in which contemporary music and literature have interacted over the past couple of decades in Chile and Argentina especially.