Thank you to everyone involved in compiling, editing, curating, and writing!

Showing: All results
Angie Anaeme

Angie Anaeme

Perspectives Section Editor

Congratulations, and welcome to WashU Med! My name is Angie, and I am from Gilbert, Ariz. I graduated from Duke University in 2022 with a major in evolutionary anthropology and a minor in global health. After graduating, I worked as a medical assistant in a wound care clinic, then spent two months living with a host family in Spain and interning at a sports medicine clinic. Now, I love spending my time exploring my new home in St. Louis and getting to know my amazing classmates here at WashU Med! The community at WashU Med and in the surrounding area has been nothing short of incredible, and I have been blown away by how much the city has to offer. From the fun, free events hosted throughout the city, to the countless coffee shops and restaurants I still have on my bucket list, there’s no shortage of things to do here. I hope that this Dis-O Guide offers you a glimpse into the warm, vibrant, and supportive community that awaits you here!

Cynthia Chen

Cynthia Chen

Student Groups Section Editor

Hello! Congratulations, and welcome to WashU Med! My name is Cynthia, and I am originally from Edison, N.J. I graduated from WashU in 2021 with a bachelor’s degree in biology/neuroscience. I took two gap years in Boston before coming to WashU; I worked as a medical assistant my first year and conducted research at Brigham and Women’s Hospital my second year. Having attended WashU for undergrad, I already knew of the amazing opportunities that WashU Med had to offer; what really sold WashU Med for me were the smart, talented, down-to-earth, and supportive students and faculty. I’m so grateful to call this place home and to grow alongside such fantastic peers, and I hope that you feel the same too!

Daniel Du

Daniel Du

Editor-In-Chief

Hello, and welcome to WashU Med! My name is Daniel, and I’m originally from central New Jersey. I graduated from the University of Pennsylvania in 2023, so I had spent my entire life on the East Coast until coming to St. Louis for medical school. While I was initially hesitant about moving out here, I’ve truly loved my experience at WashU Med thus far and especially all of my wonderful classmates and faculty. I hope that this year’s Dis-O Guide helps you as much as it helped me when I was researching WashU Med and deciding where to attend medical school! Outside of class, I can be found pondering about faith and life, playing various racket sports, hanging out with friends, or obsessing over pineapples. Feel free to reach out to me anytime about anything; I’d love to meet you!

Nancy Jiang

Nancy Jiang

Wellness Section Editor

Hello! My name is Nancy. I graduated from Yale with a degree in history and had a winding journey to medical school. In my free time, I enjoy meeting up with friends, playing tennis, and running in Forest Park. I hope you will come to love this city as much as I have. Welcome to WashU Med!

Kamal Kolluri

Kamal Kolluri

Housing Section Editor

Hello. Congrats and welcome to WashU!! My name is Kamal and I’m from California. I graduated from UCLA in 2022 and did some research there during my gap year. My experience at WashU has been amazing. The students, faculty, and overall environment are super supportive and everyone wants everyone to succeed. On top of that, the school has limitless opportunities that you will have a chance to read about in the Dis-O Guide. As for the move to St. Louis, I was definitely apprehensive about the move to the Midwest from the West Coast, but my experience has been awesome. St. Louis has so much to offer and it just comes down to how much you’re willing to explore and try out new things. This guide will give you a deep look into all things WashU and St. Louis. Happy reading!

Darby Le

Darby Le

Life in STL Section Editor

Hi, everyone. Congratulations, and welcome to WashU! My name is Darby, and I’m from New Orleans, La. I graduated from Cornell University in 2022, majoring in psychology with minors in anthropology and biological sciences. I then worked in clinical research during my gap year before having the incredible opportunity to attend WashU Med. Outside of class, I love to hang out with my friends, read, and watch movies. I truly am so grateful to go to school here at WashU, and I hope the Dis-O Guide aids you in making an informed decision for yourself. Hope to see you very soon!

Joanna Li

Joanna Li

Why WashU Section Editor

Congratulations on your achievements thus far, and welcome to WashU! I’m Joanna, and I call both Columbus, Ohio, and St. Louis my homes — having now lived here for over four years while I completed my WashU undergraduate degrees in anthropology and spanish in 2023. As I considered numerous medical school factors and different opportunities, I found that I would always come back to comparing every other option to WashU. From the unparalleled education that is housed on this campus to the driven, compassionate medical mentors to the inspiring WashU Med community and my caring, collaborative peers, I am so fortunate and so proud to be able to learn and grow into a future physician here at WashU Med and in St. Louis. And so, I hope that this Dis-O Guide will help you find a similar light and see a bit of what drew me here. I would not choose to be anywhere else. When I’m not studying, you can find me reading, buying too much coffee, drawing, playing violin, and visiting parks or museums. Please feel free to contact me by email (joanna.li@wustl.edu) or introduce yourself to me on campus. I would love to meet and get to know you!

Katherine Long

Katherine Long

Editor-In-Chief

Hi, and welcome to WashU Med! My name is Katie, and I’m originally from Indiana. I graduated from Columbia University in the city of New York in 2021 with a degree in biology and completed two years of research before starting medical school. Being at WashU Med has been a wonderful experience, and I’ve really loved my time here thus far. In my free time, I enjoy trying new recipes, crafting, eating ice cream, and running (late). The environment here at WashU Med has been so supportive and welcoming, and I hope our Dis-O Guide will help you get a glimpse of the beautiful community that awaits you here! Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions!

Joshua Lynch

Joshua Lynch

Editor-In-Chief

First and foremost, congratulations on starting your journey into medicine. It is an exciting and privileged opportunity to be entering into medical school, so soak up these moments throughout this long process. My name is Joshua, and I am from Franklin, Tenn. (30 minutes south of Nashville). I graduated from Vanderbilt University in 2023 with a bachelor’s degree in medicine, health, and society and human and organizational development (basically pre-med and business!). I took no time off, so I entered WashU Med a few months after graduation. From Why WashU Wednesdays to the second-to-none support and collaboration of the entire WashU Med community, I knew that WashU Med was going to be home for me. While still figuring out what specialty is calling my name, I am interested in anesthesiology, as well as pursing my MBA at the Olin School of Business. I am thrilled that you have taken time to read this year’s edition of the Dis-O Guide, and I hope that this incredible resource helps you make the decision that is right for you (with the hope that it is WashU Med of course!).

Ella McComis

Ella McComis

The Gateway Experience Section Editor

Congratulations and welcome to WashU! My name is Ella and I am from Munster, Ind. I graduated from the University of Notre Dame in 2023, where I majored in science-business. WashU is not only a fantastic research institution but it also has such an incredible and supportive community. As students, you will find that opportunities are endless. Additionally, you will be challenged academically and grow as individuals, all while being surrounded by the best classmates. I hope this Dis-O Guide provides you with good advice and some helpful glimpses into what life is like as a WashU Med student. Best of luck as you start your medical school journey!

Karan Mirpuri

Karan Mirpuri

Life in STL Section Editor

Congratulations and welcome to WashU! My name is Karan (he/him) and I was born and raised in Miami, Fla. (although I now live in Vail, Colo.). I graduated from Vanderbilt University in 2023 with majors in scientific communication and child development. As someone who applied straight through, I prioritized finding a medical school where I could feel supported not just in my academic pursuits, but also in my health and wellbeing. Each day at WashU has reaffirmed my choice to come here, as I have felt challenged, supported, and loved by the community of students, faculty, and staff here. As you’ll learn in the Dis-O, St. Louis is a really great city with many things to enjoy, and I’m so excited to explore the city and connect with community members throughout these next four years. While I’m confident you will succeed at whatever school you choose, WashU is truly a special place that will surround you with loving people, prepare you to embrace challenges, and  nurture your potential as a future physician and human being.

Hannah Neiditz

Hannah Neiditz

Gateway Experience Section Editor

Congratulations, and welcome to WashU Med! My name is Hannah, and I’m from Atlanta, Ga. I graduated from Amherst College in 2021 with a bachelor’s degree in neuroscience. I then took two gap years conducting HIV/AIDS research at Emory University and working as a tutor, caregiver, and physical therapy aide before coming to WashU. I chose WashU because of the incredible people, mentorship, research, and education, and have not been disappointed! St. Louis has also been a fun place to live, and I’ve enjoyed exploring Forest Park, going to Blues and Cardinals games, and wandering through the many museums the city has to offer. Outside of school, I enjoy running, pickleball, reading, hiking, and trying new recipes. The Dis-O Guide was so helpful when making my decision to come to WashU, and I hope this year’s edition will do the same for you!

Melody Nguyen

Melody Nguyen

Student Groups Section Editor

Congratulations, and welcome to WashU! My name is Melody, and I’m from Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. I graduated from Johns Hopkins University with a bachelor’s degree in cellular and molecular biology and worked at Massachusetts General Hospital as a research technician before entering medical school. Since I’d spent most of my time in the U.S. on the East Coast, I was a little apprehensive about moving to the Midwest for the next eight-plus years for my Medical Scientist Training Program training. I am beyond happy with my decision to come to WashU! I have found some of the most intelligent and generous classmates and faculty I’ve ever met here. I am also enjoying all the fantastic cafes, hole-in-the-wall restaurants, free city events, and the CrossFit community in St. Louis. I hope this Dis-O Guide helps give you a sense of the genuine, supportive, and amazing environment at WashU and the wider St. Louis city. Happy reading!

Christina Ping

Christina Ping

Advice Section Editor

Congratulations, and welcome to WashU! My name is Christina, and I’m originally from Fort Lee, N.J. (If you know the Bridgegate scandal with Chris Christie, that’s my town.) I majored in biology at Stanford (class of 2020) and then took three gap years: one in health care consulting and two more doing strategy at a women’s telehealth start-up (very Bay Area, I know), splitting my time between NYC and SF, before coming to med school. Having only lived on the coasts, I was definitely apprehensive at first about moving to the Midwest. However, St. Louis has actually been very pleasantly surprising, and I’ve really enjoyed going on runs around Forest Park and exploring the surrounding area; St. Louis is a great place to be a student. Outside of class, I’m a huge foodie, and love to both cook/bake new recipes and try new restaurants. I’m also currently training for the St. Louis half marathon in the spring! Feel free to reach out if you want to chat!

Nikita Sajeev

Nikita Sajeev

Why WashU Section Editor

Hello, and welcome to WashU! My name is Nikita and I’m from Portland, Ore. I graduated from Temple University in 2022 with a bachelor’s degree in neuroscience, as well as a Spanish minor. I spent my gap year in sunny San Diego, doing a post-baccalaureate stem cell research fellowship at the Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute. I am so excited to be at WashU Med and hopefully be a friendly face for y’all. I remember being hesitant about moving to the Midwest since I had been a bicoastal girl through and through before coming to WashU. But, now that I’m here, I know I made the right choice. The appeal of WashU Med, in many ways, speaks for itself. Personally, the breadth of neuroscience research, unique curriculum, and, most importantly, supportive and down-to-earth community is what drew me in. The Dis-O Guide was really helpful to me as I was making my decision to attend WashU Med and I hope it can similarly give you a glimpse into our lives here in St. Louis. Good luck with your decision-making and reach out (n.sajeev@wustl.edu) if I can ever be of any help!

Aditya Santoki

Aditya Santoki

Perspectives Section Editor

Congratulations, and welcome to WashU! My name is Aditya, and I am from Atlanta, Ga. I graduated from Duke University in 2021 with a bachelor’s degree in chemistry. I then took two gap years conducting research at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) followed by a Fulbright research project in India before coming to WashU. WashU is such a phenomenal institution where you will be surrounded by brilliant colleagues and great friends! The best part about this school is its supportive culture in really pursuing any interests you might have. I hope this Dis-O Guide can give you a great start to learn more about what being a medical student is like here! Good luck with medical school applications, and get excited about WashU!

Brian Sun

Brian Sun

Advice Section Editor

Hello, and congratulations on getting accepted to WashU for medical school! My name is Brian, and I’m an MSTP student from Sunnyvale, Calif. Outside of class, I play table tennis competitively against other universities as part of WashU Table Tennis and (slowly) run long distances in Forest Park. You likely already know about WashU’s reputation as a great place to learn and conduct research in medicine, and I hope the Dis-O guide gives you a ground-zero perspective on how WashU medical students live life both on- and off-campus.

Felicia Wang

Felicia Wang

Editor-In-Chief

Welcome to WashU Med’s Dis-O Guide. My name is Felicia, and I am one of the Editors-in-Chief of this year’s guide. I’m from California and did my undergrad at UCLA. My favorite thing so far after moving to St. Louis is that I’ve been able to see it snow! I’ve been so privileged and happy to be able to work with a wonderful team of editors, students, and faculty to bring this edition to fruition. I hope you are able to learn a lot about WashU Med from these articles and best of luck to you as you embark on your path to medicine!

Anna Yang

Anna Yang

Housing Section Editor

Hi, my name is Anna. Congratulations, and welcome to WashU! I graduated from Johns Hopkins University, where I studied molecular and cellular biology and public health studies. Coming from a coastal city, I was a little anxious about moving to the Midwest. However, settling in here has been a great experience, and I’m genuinely happy with my decision. The dynamic and collaborative environment here is truly inspiring. I found the Dis-O Guide incredibly helpful while making school decisions and exploring housing options in St. Louis. I hope you find it useful and fun to read as well. If you have any questions or need guidance, please don’t hesitate to get in touch!