Yu-Chih Chen, MSW, PhD, graduated from the Brown School at Washington University in St. Louis with his PhD in Social Work in August 2019. He was a McDonnell Scholar at the McDonnell International Scholars Academy and MOE Fellow sponsored by The Ministry of Education,Taiwan while at the Brown School. His scholarly pursuits support two of the Grand Challenges in Social Work: to Advance Long and Productive Lives and to Build Financial Capability for All.
Beginning August 2019, he joined the Department of Social Work and Social Administration at The University of Hong Kong (HKU). Visit Yu-Chih’s profile at HKU to learn more about him.
- Social determinants of healthy aging
- Activity and productive engagement
- Cross-national/comparative research
- Social welfare and policy (“Macro” social work)
- Social gerontology
- Advanced statistics (e.g., SEM, propensity score analysis, multilevel and longitudinal analysis)
- Research methods and Program evaluation
- Principle investigator. Wealth trajectories and health in later life: A cross-national investigation. Chiang Ching-Kuo Foundation for International Scholarly Exchange (CCKF), Taipei, Taiwan.
- Chen, Y. C., Putnam, M., Lee, Y. S., & Morrow-Howell, N. (2019). Activity patterns and health outcomes in later life: The role of nature of engagement. The Gerontologist, 59(4). 698–708. doi: 10.1093/geront/gny023
- Chao, S. F. & Chen, Y. C. (2019). Environment patterns and mental health of older adults in long-term care facilities: The role of activity profiles. Aging & Mental Health, 23(10),1307–1016. doi: 10.1080/13607863.2018.1484889
- Halvorsen, C. & Chen, Y. C. (2019). The diversity of interest in later-life entrepreneurship: Results from a nationally representative survey of Americans aged 50 to 70. PLoS One, 14(6), e0217971. doi: 1371/journal.pone.0217971
- Motley, R., Chen, Y. C., Johnson, C., & Joe, S. (in press). Exposure to community-based violence via social media among black male emerging adults. Social Work Research
- Chen, Y. C., Wang, Y., Cooper, B., McBride, T., Chen, H., …, & Morrow-Howell, N. (2018). A research note on challenges of cross-national aging research: An example of productive activities across three countries. Research on Aging, 40(1), 54–71. doi: 10.1177/0164027516678997
- Wang, Y., Chen, Y. C., Shen, H.W., & Morrow-Howell, N. (2018). Neighborhood and depressive symptoms: A comparison of rural and urban Chinese older adults. The Gerontologist, 58(1), 68–78. doi: 0.1093/geront/gnx063
- Wang, D., Wu, J., Morrow-Howell, N., Kang, N., Zhang, R., Chen, Y. C., Wang, Y., & Chen, G. (2018). Environment correlates of physical activity among older adults in urban China. Journal of Xi’an Physical Education University, Advanced online publication (in simplified Chinese).
- Motley, R., Sewell, W., & Chen, Y. C. (2017). Community violence exposure and risk taking behaviors among black emerging adults: A systematic review. Journal of Community Health, 42(5), 1069–1078. doi: 10.1007/s10900-017-0353-4
- Cheng, L.C., Lin, T.L., Chen, Y. C., & Chang, Y.W. (2010). The intergovernmental functions in the child protection system: A comparative study across the USA, UK, and Taiwan. Journal of Child and Youth Welfare, 17, 95–118. (in traditional Chinese)