Campaign Blog

Compatibility Test

By rgbose on July 24, 2018 in 2018 McMurdo Campaign / No Comments

The integration of the payload culminated today when the telescope was brought outside at 6am for the final compatibility test. We verified that the power system worked and that all the command and data links between the science payload, the Support Instrumentation Package, the antennae, the sate...

Tests of the LED Ring

By rgbose on July 18, 2018 in 2018 McMurdo Campaign / No Comments

X-Calibur has pairs of LEDs arranged in a ring with one missing to aide alignment of the mirror with the polarimeter and to monitor the 8m long telescope truss for deformations.

Integration Continues at CSBF

By rgbose on July 17, 2018 in 2018 McMurdo Campaign / No Comments

Integration at CSBF is in full swing. Teams from Washington University in St. Louis and NASA Wallops are testing and assembling pieces of the instrument. Truss assembly Thermal and vacuum tests of the electronics Solar panel testing Wallops Arc-Second Pointer pointing system electronics X-Ray mir...

X-Calibur Landing and Recovery

By krawcz on September 19, 2016 in 2016 Fort Sumner Campaign / 4 Comments

The payload landed at the border between Arizona and New Mexico in a low-population area. We were <really> lucky and the payload is mostly undamaged. The temperature sensitive mirror was already retrieved and is on its way to Fort Sumner. The rest of the payload will probably be recovered t...

Launch attempt 9/17/2016

By krawcz on September 17, 2016 in 2016 Fort Sumner Campaign / No Comments

It’s 3:10 am and we just pushed X-Calibur out of the hangar. The wind conditions are looking excellent today. If the rain stays away, we may launch! 4:45am: everything is still looking good. X-Calibur is on the runway. See the launch live: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nasa-educational

Upcoming Launch Opportunities, Routine Checks

By krawcz on September 15, 2016 in 2016 Fort Sumner Campaign / No Comments

We just had the CSBF weather briefing and discussed upcoming launch opportunities. The next few days (Friday-Sunday) all present possible launch windows in terms of the low-level winds. However, possible thunderstorms make it quite uncertain when we can actually launch. The wind at 125,000 feet h...

Rain and Possible Thunderstorms Today

By krawcz on September 14, 2016 in 2016 Fort Sumner Campaign / 1 Comment

Rain and the possibility of a thunderstorm made a launch today impossible. The CSBF team carefully monitored the weather situation in the night and early morning, and concluded that the weather did not meet the requirements for a safe launch. The next launch opportunities will be on Friday and Sa...

Launch Preparations

By krawcz on September 13, 2016 in 2016 Fort Sumner Campaign / No Comments

4:20am: We have verified that the science system and pointing system work flawlessly and the telescope has been picked up by the crane. Now, we are waiting if the weather develops as predicted. 

Subscribe By Email

Get every new post delivered right to your inbox.

Please prove that you are not a robot.