REGIONAL COMMUNITY RESOURCES (scroll to the bottom of the page for National Resources)
- Metro Trans Umbrella Group: regional umbrella group for variety of transgender groups and organizations
- Trans Parent STL: regional support group for parents of trans children.
- The Spot: free medical and social services for STL teens
- PROMO: Missouri LGBTQ political advocacy organization
- Safe Connections: https://safeconnections.org/
- St. Louis LGBT History Project: http://stlouislgbthistory.com/
- Services and Advocacy for LGBTQ Elders: https://promoonline.org/sage-of-promo-fund/
Affirming Restaurants and Bars
Click this link for a list: transspectrumconferenceresources. These business are known to be LGBTQ affirming, however please use your own instincts when in all spaces.
An interactive map is available here: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1yxk-FPDSwSf50Fwrw9fKVNLefiA
The Gateway Business Guild is the St. Louis chapter of the National Gay & Lesbian Chamber of Commerce. Its mission is to strengthen the economic potential of the St. Louis metro area LGBTQIA+ business communities through business certification, education, networking, and advocacy. Please browse the member directory for businesses that are LGBTQIA+ owned/operated and businesses certified as Trans/LGBTQIA+ friendly. Enjoy St. Louis and support the community! https://gatewaybusinessguild.wildapricot.org
FOR: Educators and other professionals, trans adults, students of higher ed.
- Blaise, M., (2005) Playing It Straight: Uncovering Gender Discourses in the Early Childhood Classroom
- Brown, M.L. & Rounsley, C.A., (2003) True Selves: Understanding Transsexualism–For Families, Friends, Coworkers, and Helping Professionals
- Boedecker, A., (2011) The Transgender Guidebook: Keys to a Successful Transition
- Borden, J. (2015) Transgender Complete: A Virtual Handbook
- Bornstein, K. & Bergman, S. B. (2010) Gender Outlaws: The Next Generation
- Boylan, J. F., (2013) She’s Not There: A Life in Two Genders
- Cotton, T. T., Ed., (2012) Transgender Migrations: The Bodies, Borders, and Politics of Transition
- Currah, P., Juang, R. M., & Minter, S. P., (2008) Transgender Rights
- Driskill, Q.L. & Justice, D. H. & Miranda, D. (2011) Sovereign Erotics: A Collection of Two-Spirit Literature
- Erickson-Schroth, L. (2014) Trans Bodies, Trans Selves: A Resource for the Transgender Community
- Halberstam, J., (1998) Female Masculinity
- Meiners, E. R. & Quinn, T., (2014) Sexualities in Education: A Reader
- Meyer, E.J. (editor) & Sansfacon, A.P. (2014) Supporting Transgender and Gender Creative Youth: Schools, Families, and Communities in Action (Gender and Sexualities in Education)
- Meyerowitz, J., (2004) How Sex Changed: A History of Transsexuality in the United States
- Nestle, J. & Howell, C. & Wilchins, R. (2002) GenderQueer: Voices From Beyond the Sexual Binary
- Roughgarden, J., (2013) Evolution’s Rainbow: Diversity, Gender, and Sexuality in Nature and People
- Salamon, G., (2010) Assuming a Body: Transgender and Rhetorics of Materiality
- Serano, J., (2007) Whipping Girl: A Transsexual Woman on Sexism and the Scapegoating of Femininity
- Stryker, S. & Aizura, A., (2013) The Transgender Studies Reader 2. NY: Routledge.
- Stryker, S., (2008) Transgender History. Seal Press.
- Stryker, S. & Whitley, S., (2006) The Transgender Studies Reader 1. NY: Routledge.
- Sycamore, M. B. (2006) Nobody Passes: Rejecting the Rules of Gender and Conformity
- Taylor, J.K. & Haider-Markel, D.P. (2014) Transgender Rights and Politics: Groups, Issue Framing, and Policy Adoption
- Wong, S. & de Visser, E., (2012) Inside Out: Portraits of Cross-gender Children
- Brill, S. & Pepper, R., (2008) The Transgender Child: A Handbook for Families and Professionals
- Ehrensaft, D. & Menvielle, E., (2011) Gender Born, Gender Made: Raising Healthy Gender Nonconforming Children
- Howey, N. & Samuels, E., Eds., (2000) Out of the Ordinary: Essays on Growing Up with Gay, Lesbian, and Transgender Parents
- Hubbard, E. A. & Whitley, C., (2012) Trans-Kin: A Guide for Family and Friends of
- Transgender People (Volume 1)
- Kailey, M., (2012) My Child is Transgender: 10 Tips for Parents of Adult Trans Children
- Krieger, I., (2011) Helping Your Transgender Teen
- Naidoo, J. S., (2012) Rainbow Family Collections: Selecting and Using Children’s Books with Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer Content
- Pearlman, S. F., (2012) Mother Talk: Conversations with Mothers of Lesbian Daughters and FTM Transgender Children
- Pepper, R., (2012) Transitions of the Heart: Stories of Love, Struggle and Acceptance by Mothers of Transgender and Gender-Variant Children
- Podgurski, M. J., & Burroughs, A. M., (2014) Nonnie Talks about Gender
- Teich, N. M., (2012) Transgender 101
- Brett A. & Bidlespacher, T., (2012) Goblinheart
- Baldacchino, C., & Malenfant, I., (2014) Morris Micklewhite and the Tangerine Dress
- Bergman, S.B., & Malik, S., (2012) The Adventures of Tulip, Birthday Wish Fairy
- Broadhead, T., & Spade, D., (2014) Meet Polkadot (Polkadot, #1)
- Carr, J., (2010) Be Who You Are
- Costa, M., (2012) When Leonard Lost His Spots: A Trans Parent Tail
- Ewert, M., (2008) 10,000 Dresses
- Fabrikant, A., (2013) When Kayla Was Kyle
- Greenberg, M.H., (2008) Mermaids on Parade
- Hall, M., (2015) Red: A Crayon’s Story
- Herthel, J., Jennings, J. & McNicholas, S., (2014) I am Jazz
- Hoffman, S., (2014) Jacob’s New Dress
- Kay, V., (2007) Rough, Tough Charley
- Kieman-Johnson, E., (2013) Roland Humphrey is Wearing a WHAT?
- Kilodavis, C. & DiSimone, (2010) My Princess Boy
- Mackall, D.D., (2008) A Girl Named Dan
- Shimura, T., (2011) Wandering Son, Vol. 1
- Thomas, M., (1973) Free to Be…You and Me
- U’Ren, A., (2001) Pugdog
- Walliams, D., (2009) The Boy in the Dress
- Wong, W., (2011) When Kathy Is Keith
- Wurst, T., (2004) Pearl’s Christmas Present
- Andrews, A., (2014) Some Assembly Required: The Not-so-secret Life of a Transgender Teen
- Belge, K., Bieschke, M. and Robinson, C., (2011) Queer: The Ultimate LGBT Guide for Teens
- Cronn-Mills, K., (2012) Beautiful Music for Ugly Children
- Gold, R., (2012) Being Emily
- Gold, R., (2014) Just Girls
- Hill, K.R., (2015) Rethinking Normal: A Memoir in Transition
- Huegel, K., (2011) GLBTQ: The Survival Guide for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender and Questioning Teens
- Katcher, B., (2010) Almost Perfect
- Kuklin, S., (2015) Beyond Magenta: Transgender Teens Speak Out
- Wittlinger, E., (2011) Parrotfish
- ACLU: American Civil Liberties Union
Source of ACLU resources and links for LGBT youth and schools including Know Your Rights: A Quick Guide for LGBT High School Students, information on the Equal Access Act/Gay-Straight Alliances, harassment, free speech/free expression/prom, privacy, equal protection, transgender/gender nonconforming student resources, school web filtering and more.
- DrugRehab.com is a web resource that provides information and support to people fighting substance abuse and addiction. Studies have show that individuals in the LGBT community are likely to use and abuse alcohol and drugs while in college and tend to continue abuse throughout their lives. We work to spread awareness of issues like this and to be an informational resource for those impacted by alcohol and drug dependence
Provides consultation, training and events designed to help families, educators, professionals, and organizations understand and address the concepts of gender identity and expression.
- Gay Lesbian and Straight Education Network (GLSEN)
Working to ensure that every member of every school community is valued and respected regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
- Human Rights Campaign (HRC)
LGBTQ law, policy, and business activism. News and resources
- National Center for Transgender Equality (NCTE)
NCTE is the nation’s leading social justice advocacy organization winning life-saving change for transgender people. Find news, discussion and resources. See also http://transequality.org/PDFs/Executive_Summary.pdf Injustice at Every Turn: A Report of the National Transgender Discrimination Survey
Groundbreaking report from the NCTE.
- National Resource Center for LGBT Aging: http://www.lgbtagingcenter.org/index.cfm
- Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG)
With over 350 chapters and 200,000 members and supporters, PFLAG unites people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) with families, friends, and allies.
- Trans lifeline
A lifeline staffed by transgender people for transgender people – volunteers are ready to respond to whatever support needs members of our community might have.
- Trans Student Educational Resources (TSER)
A youth-led organization dedicated to transforming the educational environment for trans and gender nonconforming students through advocacy and empowerment. In addition to a focus on creating a more trans-friendly education system, the mission of TSER is to educate the public and teach trans activists how to be effective organizers.
- Transgender Law Center
Working to change law, policy, and attitudes – provides information and assistance to individuals and families.
- Transgender Resource Education and Enrichment Services is dedicated to rural communities.
- World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH)
An international multidisciplinary professional Association with the mission of promoting evidence based care, education, research, advocacy, public policy and respect in transgender health.