Compiled by Kevin J. Black, M.D. (last updated 2017)
- Habit Reversal Therapy (circa 1973)
- CBIT = Comprehensive Behavioral Intervention for Tics (named circa 2003) — more or less HRT in new clothes
- a behavior therapy treatment for tics
- substantial reduction in tics often seen after first session
- qualifies as a “well-established” treatment for TS under American Psychological Association guidelines (Chambless et al., 1998; Cook & Blacher, 2007)
- recommended by several experts as the first treatment for many TS patients (Verdellen et al., 2011; Steeves et al., 2012; Leckman, 2014) read more…
Dr. Michael Himle, Associate Professor at the The University of Utah, discusses common misconceptions about Comprehensive Behavioral Intervention for Tics (CBIT), a non-medication treatment designed to teach skills that reduce tic severity and symptoms.
TicTrainer™ is a web tool meant to help you build your ability to fight tics. BT-Coach is a self-help ERP tool. TicHelper.com provides self- (or parent-)directed CBIT. Click here for more information.