Featured Awards and Presentations
Welcome to Dr. Hassan as he officially joins the lab to begin his postdoctoral fellowship training. In addition, congratulations to Mohamed on his acceptance into the Leadership and Management in Action Program in the division of Postdoctoral Affairs at Washington University for Fall of 2021.
Dr. Hassan was recently selected as the 2020 recipient of the Rita Levi-Montalcini Postdoctoral Fellowship in Regenerative Medicine by the Washington University Center of Regenerative Medicine. Dr. Hassan is a dentist-scientist with training in Orthodontics and will join the lab in the Summer of 2021 to begin his work. Congratulations, Mohamed!
After 4 years of hard work, Madelyn Lorenz was selected to present her new Neuroskeletal Atlas of the Mouse Limb as a featured oral presentation at the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research (ASBMR) annual meeting. The Atlas is currently in preparation for publication and we anticipate having it available for preliminary use through […]
Xiao Zhang won two of the prestigious awards for research at the recent BMA2020 meeting. After an independent committee review, his oral presentation “Fat in a fatless mouse: a novel origin of maladapted bone marrow adipocytes with age and disease” won 1st place in the best abstract category. In addition, his 2nd abstract “Neural contributions […]
Mr. Beeve was selected as a recipient of the Department of Bioengineering travel award to attend the BMES conference in San Diego, CA where he will present his work on the acute and chronic regulation of bone by bioelectric stimulation of the sciatic nerve. Congratulations Alec!
Ms. Ivana Shen was awarded a 2020 BioSURF fellowship to pursue her work on the relationship between nerve quality and bone health in mice and humans with diabetes. Congratulations, Ivana!
Dr. Scheller was hosted by Dr. Tamara Alliston and the to UCSF Department of Orthopaedic Surgery to present the ongoing work in the laboratory pertaining to neural regulation of skeletal pathophysiology as part of the CCMBM seminar series. She then traveled to the UCLA School of Dentistry to visit with Dr. Paul Krebsbach and to […]
Dr. Scheller attended the XIVth Congress of the International Society of Bone Morphometry as an invited speaker and enjoyed the opportunity to share our work on nerves in bone and neural regulation of bone marrow adiposity.
Dr. Wee was selected for a podium presentation for her work entitled “Shared autonomic pathways connect bone marrow and peripheral adipose tissues across the central neuraxis”. She presented during the session on ‘Bone-Lipid Connections’ at the recent 2019 ASBMR meeting. This work was also recently accepted for publication in Frontiers in Endocrinology. Congratulations Natalie!
Dr. Scheller presented on neural regulation of marrow fat and its connections across the central neuraxis as the final talk of the 5th International Meeting on Bone Marrow Adiposity in Odense, Denmark.
Presentations and Posters
- Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES) – Oct 2020 (Alec Beeve, poster presentation)
- American Society for Bone and Mineral Research (ASBMR) – Sept 2020 (Madelyn Lorenz, oral presentation)
- 6th International Bone Marrow Adiposity Society (BMAS) – Sept 2020 (Xiao Zhang, oral and poster presentation)
- Mizzou Musculoskeletal Research Training Program Symposium – June 2020 (Dr. Scheller, Invited Keynote Speaker; Alec Beeve, Xiao Zhang, and Dr. Jennifer Brazill virtual poster presentations)
- University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) Musculoskeletal Seminar Series – Jan 2020 (Dr. Scheller, Invited Seminar Speaker)
- University of California San Francisco (UCSF) Core Center for Musculoskeletal Biology and Medicine (CCMBM) – Jan 2020 (Dr. Scheller, Invited Seminar Speaker)
- International Society of Bone Morphometry (ISBM), Orlando, Florida – October 2019 (Dr. Scheller, invited talk)
- American Society for Bone and Mineral Research (ASBMR), Orlando, Florida – September 2019 (Dr. Natalie Wee, oral presentation)
- 5th Bone Marrow Adiposity Meeting, Odense, Denmark – August 2019 (Dr. Scheller, invited talk)
- International Society for Autonomic Neuroscience (ISAN), Los Angeles, California – July 2019 (Alec Beeve and Madelyn Lorenz, posters)
- ASBMR, Montreal, Canada – September 2018 (Dr. Scheller, oral presentation)
- 4th Bone Marrow Adiposity Meeting, Lille, France – August 2018 (Dr. Craft, oral presentation)
- 4th Bone Marrow Adiposity Meeting, Lille, France – August 2018 (Dr. Scheller, oral presentation)
- European Calcified Tissue Society (ECTS), Valencia, Spain – May 2018 (Dr. Scheller, invited talk)
- 3rd Bone Marrow Adiposity Meeting, Lausanne, Switzerland – August 2017 (Dr. Craft, oral presentation)
- 3rd Bone Marrow Adiposity Meeting, Lausanne, Switzerland – August 2017 (Dr. Scheller, oral presentation)
- Musculoskeletal Regenerative Medicine and Biology Symposium, Saint Louis, MO, USA – May 2017 (Dr. Natalie Wee, oral presentation)
- Elastin, Elastic Fibers & Microfibrils Gordon Research Conference, Maine, USA – July 2017 (Dr. Craft, invited talk)
- 9th European Elastin Meeting, Stuttgart, Germany – June 2016 (Dr. Craft, invited talk)
- 2nd Bone Marrow Adiposity Meeting, Rotterdam, Netherlands – August 2016 (Dr. Scheller, oral presentation)
- ASBMR, Atlanta, GA – September 2016 (Dr. Craft, oral presentation)
- ASBMR, Atlanta, GA – September 2016 (Dr. Scheller, oral presentation)
- BioSURF Summer Research Fellowship 2019 (Ivana Shen)
- BioSURF Summer Research Fellowship 2019 (Nasja Wickerhauser)
- T32 Graduate research fellowship 2018 (Alec Beeve)
- T32 Post-doctoral research fellowship 2018 (Jennifer Brazill)
- BioSURF Summer Research Fellowship 2018 (Eva Jeliazkova)
- BioSURF Summer Research Fellowship 2017 (SungJae Park)
- Undergraduate Summer Research Fellowship 2017 (Hero Robles and Madison McManus)
- Undergraduate Summer Research Fellowship 2016 (Sarah Turecamo)
- R01-DE027098 – Development of a wireless biosensor to track bone resorption in periodontitis
- U01-DK116317 – Peripheral nerve distribution and function within the skeleton (2017-2020)
- R56-DE027924 – Extracellular matrix determinants of nerve extension in the dental craniofacial skeleton (2018-2020)
- R00-DE024178 – Neural regulation of skeletal biology and periodontal disease progression in type 1 diabetes mellitus (2016-2019)