Student Handbooks

The Psychological & Brain Sciences department has prepared the following handbook as a reference for current graduate students.

Please be aware that it is updated yearly, and some details may be specific to a given cohort of students.

Graduate Student Handbook August 2022 

The Psychology Graduate Student Association (PGSA) has prepared the following Welcome Packet for incoming students.

We hope that this packet helps you make a smooth transition to St. Louis, and is useful throughout your graduate experience.

Welcome Packet_2022-23

Living in St. Louis

St. Louis County, which encompasses St. Louis and numerous other surrounding cities, is home to nearly one million people. Washington University’s Danforth Campus – home to the Psychological & Brain Sciences Department – is located in St. Louis County on the border of St. Louis City, University City, and Clayton.

Graduate students tend to live in a variety of neighborhoods that allow easy commutes to Danforth Campus, such as the Central West End, The Loop, and Tower Grove. We’ve compiled some testimonies from graduate students about their favorite places to live and explore.

My partner and I purchased our townhome in the Kingsbury Square neighborhood at the corner of Delmar and Debalieviere almost two years ago and I couldn’t be happier with our investment and the location. Kingsbury Square is a quiet oasis within the Skinker Debaliviere neighborhood – close to the Loop and many other graduate students, with a suburban, family friendly vibe. The little park on the corner is perfect for dog lovers!

The Delmar Loop is the perfect place to live if you enjoy being walking-distance from everything. I’m five minutes away from a dozen local stores and great restaurants and only fifteen minutes from campus. It also has a super charming 1960s aesthetic!” 

The Loop is a great place to live! Housing is incredibly affordable and you get a lot of space for what you pay. I rent from the Byron Company, and I haven’t experienced any problems in the two years I’ve been here. There’s a ton of diverse restaurants and food spots to choose from; many of my favorite places in St. Louis are just a short walk from my apartment. Wash U is very close (10 minute bike ride, 15 minute bus ride, or 20 minute walk). It’s also not far to the nearest Red Line stop (~17 minute walk) to the Lambert Airport. There’s usually a fair number of people walking around on the main street (Delmar Blvd) during all hours of the day and night, so it’s generally pretty safe.

I lived in University City, just west of the Delmar Loop, my first two years. It was family friendly so I liked how quiet, yet close to campus it was. I had a 10 min bike commute to campus. I now live a bit further from campus in Tower Grove East and enjoy access to a lot more restaurants and cultural diversity seen in the residents and local businesses. Little Mexico (Cherokee St), and fresh pan dulce on Saturday morning, is just a 5 min bike ride. There are also several other cultural cuisines represented on Grand Blvd and, of course, beautiful Tower Grove park!

The Moorlands neighborhood in Clayton is a couple miles from campus. It’s great if you are looking for something quieter/more residential, though it is a bit further away from restaurants and shops. It’s a very safe area, but due to the proximity to downtown Clayton, rent prices lean a bit pricier than other neighborhoods. The beautiful tree lined streets are a major highlight of this area. I love running and walking my dog along Wydown Blvd!

My partner and I recently started renting a small house in Maplewood, and we’ve been pleasantly surprised by the area! We’re in a quiet neighborhood with an adorable public library nearby, but we can still easily commute to the Danforth and Medical campuses.

Diversity

“Last year the Chancellor and Provost charged Washington University’s Commission on Diversity & Inclusion with making recommendations to implement a 12-point action plan designed to make Washington University a more diverse and inclusive community.”

You can view the full summary of the report from the Commission on Diversity and Inclusion.

For Diversity and Inclusion efforts and activities happening in our department please refer to the PGSA Diversity Committee.