Jose P. Zevallos, MD, MPH, FACS
Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery;
Head & Neck Oncologic Surgery
Patients seen at
Ear, Nose and Throat Center
Center for Advanced Medicine
4921 Parkview Pl., Ste. A, Floor 11
St. Louis, MO 63110
Fax: (314) 747-5592
Washington University School of Medicine
Dept. Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery
660 S. Euclid Ave.
Campus Box 8115
St. Louis, MO 63110
Dr. Zevallos’ clinical interests include head and neck squamous cell carcinoma, HPV-positive and HPV-negative head and neck cancer, salivary gland tumors, thyroid and parathyroid conditions, and benign tumors of the head and neck. His research interests include the study of HPV-related cancer and related risk factors.
- Undergraduate: Biology, Middlebury College (2000)
- MD: Rutgers University (2005)
- Residency: Baylor College of Medicine (2010)
- Fellowship in Head and Neck Surgical Oncology and Microvascular Reconstruction, Mt. Sinai Beth Israel Medical Center (2011)
- Master of Public Health, University of Texas School of Public Health (2014)
Licensure and board certification
- 2017 – American Academy of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery Delegate to the 2017 Mexican Congress of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, Merida, Mexico
- 2016 – Academic Career Leadership Academy in Medicine (ACCLAIM) Scholar, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Medicine-selected for 15% protected time and salary support for leadership academy sponsored by Dean’s office
- 2016 – 2nd Place Poster at the 2016 International Meeting on Head and Neck Cancer, “A Comparison of the Diagnostic Utility of PET/CT in HPV-positive and HPV-negative Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Oropharynx”
- 2016 – Academy of Educators (AOE) Faculty Fellow, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Medicine
- 2015 – American Head and Neck Society/American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery Foundation (AHNS/AAO-HNSF) Translational Innovator Combined Award
- 2015 – Department of Veterans Affairs VISN 16 Pilot Project Grant
- 2014 – Texas Monthly Super Doctors “2014 Rising Star”
- 2013 – 1st Place Poster Award (Head and Neck) for, “A Veteran’s Affairs Medical Center Experience with Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Larynx: Analysis of National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) Guideline Adherence” Triological Sections Meeting
- 2012 – American Head and Neck Society (AHNS) Cancer Prevention and Early Detection Grant Recipient
- 2012 – International Visiting Professorship, El Instituto Nacional de Enfermedades Neoplásicas (Peruvian National Institute of Neoplastic Diseases) Lima, Peru
- 2012 – Visiting Professorship, Department of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, Louisiana State University-Shreveport Health Sciences Center
- 2009 – American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (AAFPRS) Residency Travel Award Recipient, 2009 AAFPRS Annual Meeting, October 1-3, 2009 San Diego, CA
- 2009 – American Academy of Otolaryngology/Head & Neck Surgery CORE Grant Recipient: Leslie Bernstein Resident Research Grant
- 2009 – Houston Otolaryngology Society Resident Research Award Finalist
- 2009 – Charles Dickens Resident Research Award, Bobby R. Alford Department of Otolaryngology/Head & Neck Surgery
Baylor College of Medicine
- 2008 – American Head and Neck Society Travel Grant, 7th International Conference on Head and Neck Cancer, July 19-23, 2008
San Francisco, CA
- 2005 – Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) Honor Medical Society
- Han P, Gao F, Liu H, Liu Z, Shi Q, Troy JD, Owzar K, Lee W, Zevallos JP, Sturgis, EM, Wei Q. “Reduced mRNA expression of nucleotide excision repair genes in lymphocytes and risk of squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck” Carcinogenesis 2017 Mar 31; epub ahead of print.
- Liu Z, Liu H, Han P, Gao F, Dahlstrom KR, Li G, Owzar K, Zevallos JP, Sturgis EM, Wei Q. “Apoptotic Capacity in Peripheral Blood Lymphocytes and Risk of Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Head and Neck” Eur J Cancer. 2016; 72:166-176.
- Chera BS, Wang K, Monroe A, Galloway T, Amdur R, Hayes DN, Zevallos JP, Mendenhall WM. “Truth or Myth: Definitive Chemoradiotherapy doesn’t work for HPV/p16-negative Oropharyngeal Squamous Cell Carcinoma?” Oral Oncology Dec 2016 epub ahead of print.
- Zevallos JP, Yom SS. “Redefining the Role of Surgical Management in the Evolving Landscape of Oropharyngeal Cancer”, J Oncol Pract. 2016;12(11):1185-1187.
- D’Souza G, Anantharaman D, Beachler DC, Conway DI, Olshan AF, Wunsch-Filho V, Toporcov TN, Ahrens W, Wisniewski K, Merletti F, Tajara E, Zevallos JP, Levi JE, Weissler MC, Wright S, Carreira C, Brennan P. “Effect of HPV on Head and Neck Cancer Patient Survival, by Region and Tumor Site: A comparison of 1362 cases across three continents” Oral Oncol. 2016; 62:20-27.
- Wyss AB, Hashibe M, Lee YC, Chuang SC, Muscat J, Chen C, Schwartz SM, Smith E, Zhang ZF, Morgenstern H, Wei Q, Li G, Kelsey K, McClean M, Winn DM, Schantz S, Yu GP, Gillison M, Zevallos JP, Boffetta P, Olshan AF. “Smokeless Tobacco Use and the Risk of Head and Neck Cancer: Pooled Analysis of US Studies in the International Head and Neck Cancer Epidemiology Consortium”, Am J Epidemiology. 2016; epub ahead of print. PMID: 27744388
- Pena I, Chew EY, Landau BP, Breen JT, Zevallos JP, Vrabec JT. “Diagnostic Criteria for Detection of Vestibular Schwannomas in the VA Population”, Otol Neurotol. 2016;37(10):1510-1515.
- Mazul AL, Rodriguez N, Taylor JM, Desai D, Weissler MC, Brennan P, Anantharaman D, Abedi-Ardekani B, Olshan AF, Zevallos JP. “Prognostic Significance of HPV Genotype in Oropharyngeal Squamous Cell Carcinoma: Results from the Carolina Head and Neck Cancer Epidemiology Study”, Oral Oncol. 2016; 61:98-103.
- Mazul AL, Taylor JM, Divaris K, Weissler MC, Brennan P, Anantharaman D, Abedi-Ardekani B, Olshan AF, Zevallos JP. “Oral Health and HPV-Associated Head and Neck Cancer”, Cancer 2016; epub ahead of print.
- Wang K, Amdur RJ, Mendenhall WM, Green R, Aumer S, Hackman TG, Zanation AM, Zevallos JP, Patel SN, Weissler MC, Chera BS. “Impact of post-chemoradiotherapy superselective/selective neck dissection on patient reported quality of life”, Oral Oncol. 2016 Jul; 58:21-6.