The research of Ultrasound and Optical Imaging Laboratory at Washington University in St. Louis is funded by the:
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
United States Department of Defense (DOD)
Connecticut Bioscience Innovation Fund (CBIF)
Recent Publications: Pubmed
- Guang Yang, doctoral student, received the highly competitive fellowship award in June 2019 from Imaging Science Program of Washington University. Congratulations to Guang!
- Shihab Uddin, doctoral Student, received the prestigious Pre-doctoral Award in May 2019 from BME Department. Congratulations to Shihab!
- May 2019, Atahar Mostafa successfully defended his PhD dissertation. Dr. Mostafa is the 25th PhD graduate from Optical and Ultrasound Imaging supervised by Prof. Zhu. He is now an Electrical Engineer at Philips in Boston. Congratulations Dr. Atahar Mostafa
- Our story “‘Hopeful technology’ could change detection, diagnosis of deadly ovarian cancer” was selected as the top 10 WashU Engineering stories of 2018. News Page
- The Radiology December podcast on our article “Evaluation of Ovarian Cancer: Initial Application of Coregistered Photoacoustic Tomography and US” is live. You can find our episode on iTunes here and on Radiology podcasting homepage at: December Podcast. Our episode starts at 18 minutes and 45 seconds. Podcast transcript is here.
- ‘Hopeful technology’ could change detection, diagnosis of deadly ovarian cancer. News Page
- October 2018: Our group and Medical School Collaborators have published an article in Biomed Opt Express. “Feasibility of co-registered ultrasound and acoustic-resolution photoacoustic imaging of human colorectal cancer”. In this study, we report the development and initial clinical testing of acoustic resolution photoacoustic microscopy(AR-PAM) system suitable for human colorectal cancer imaging.
- September 2018: Our group and Medical School Collaborators have published an article in Radiology.
“Evaluation of Ovarian Cancer: Initial Application of Coregistered Photoacoustic Tomography and US.”. This is a first pilot patient study of using co-registered photoacoustic and ultrasound imaging technique to image and diagnosis ovarian cancer.
- This paper by Uddin et al is one of the top download Articles on Diffuse and Fluorescence Tomography from Biomedical Optics Express. “Two step imaging reconstruction using truncated pseudoinverse as a preliminary estimate in ultrasound guided diffuse optical tomography”, Biomed. Opt. Express 8(12), 5437-5449 (2017)” View Online
- August 2018: Sreyankar Nandy successfully defended his PhD dissertation. Dr. Nandy is the 24th PhD graduate from Optical and Ultrasound Imaging supervised by Prof. Zhu. He is heading to Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) to conduct his research.
Congratulations Dr. Sreyankar Nandy
- June 2018: Professor Zhu, her collaborators and PhD students have published an article in Breast Cancer Research. “Identifying an early treatment window for predicting breast cancer response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy using immunohistopathology and hemoglobin parameters.”, Breast Cancer Res. 2018 Jun 14;20(1):56. doi: 10.1186/s13058-018-0975-1.
- Dec 2017: Scientific American “A new way to ‘see’ cancer”, https://engineering.wustl.edu/news/Pages/A-new-way-to-see-cancer.aspx