What is the difference between WashU’s Commencement and Olin’s Graduation Recognition Ceremony?

WashU’s Commencement is the annual University-wide ceremony hosted by Chancellor Martin to officially confer graduates’ degrees. This is a ceremony for ALL WashU graduates. Graduates do not cross the stage at this ceremony. For more information, visit https://commencement.wustl.edu/.

Olin’s Graduation Recognition Ceremonies are for Olin Business School graduates only, highlighting student and faculty awards and honors. There is an elected student speaker for each Olin ceremony. Each degree graduate crosses the stage.

Which ceremony should I attend? WashU Commencement or Olin’s Graduation Recognition Ceremony?

You can attend either or both. This decision is completely up to you. Graduates must register for each ceremony separately. If you want to attend both ceremonies, please be sure to register for each one.

• WashU’s Commencement registration will open in the spring. You will receive an email with registration instructions.
  • Olin’s Graduation Recognition Ceremony registration will open in the spring. You will receive an email with registration instructions.
Why do I need to register to attend each ceremony?

Registration helps us plan for all aspects of the ceremony. For example, the number of name cards, the number of chairs, the number of photographers, etc. One of the main reasons for registration is to get attendance numbers for our graduates as well as get accurate pronunciations of your name so that it is announced correctly as you walk across the stage.

Why are there two different registration links?

There are two registration links because the ceremonies are two separate ceremonies. Each ceremony needs to plan for the number of chairs, photographers, etc. Commencement has a larger attendance since its focus is WashU-wide, whereas Olin’s graduation ceremonies focus only on Olin graduates.

Olin has a unique registration link to ensure accurate seating and, most importantly, the pronunciation of your name during the ceremony. Olin’s unique link will ask you to provide the phonetic pronunciation of your name and actually have you record your name so we can ensure it is pronounced as accurately as possible when you cross the stage. You will receive a registration email to your WUSTL email address with registration instructions.

Do I have to wear Regalia to attend graduation?

Yes, regalia is required for both WashU’s Commencement and the Olin Graduation Recognition Ceremonies. You only need to rent it once, and can wear it to both ceremonies. Click here to reserve your regalia through the campus bookstore. *Regalia will not open until the March 2024 for the May graduation ceremonies.

Why are some academic honors not included in the graduation ceremonies?

Many academic honors are calculated after all grading has been finalized on or just after the scheduled commencement festivities. The digital Olin program will be updated with these honors and posted on the homepage of Olin’s graduation website as well as emailed to all graduates.

What if I did not register by the deadline, but would like to attend?

We encourage everyone to register before the deadline – Date TBD for Olin’s Graduation Recognition Ceremony. If you did not register in time, send an email to Olin-Graduation@email.wustl.edu as soon as possible and include your SIS number, first name, last name, and degree. We will do our best to add you to the registration system.

What if I registered, but am no longer attending? Do I need to tell anyone?

If you are sure you will no longer be attending, you can send an email to let us know at Olin-Graduation@email.wustl.edu and include your SIS number, first name, last name, and degree.

Do my guests need to register ?

Guests do not need to register to attend the ceremonies.

What if I’m unable to attend the ceremony(ies) but would like to order regalia for pictures?

You can order regalia for pictures here. We recommend you contact the bookstore at 314-935-5500 for further questions about renting for photos only, pick up and return.

Where do I return my regalia after the ceremony has ended?

You return your regalia to the Danforth Bookstore in the lower-level coursebook area, Mallinckrodt Center. We recommend you contact the bookstore at 314-935-5500 for further questions.

If my peers are participating in a future ceremony, can I participate with them in addition to or instead of this ceremony, or if I am not graduating in the Spring, can I walk with my peers for this ceremony?

Yes. We ask that you inform us of your plans to return by sending an email with your first name, last name, and SIS number to olin-graduation@email.wustl.edu. If you want to walk for the May ceremony, please let us know before March 1st.

I am studying remotely. How can I participate in and/or watch the ceremony?

You can view the livestream of the ceremony or watch a recording of the ceremony. Both are hosted on the home page of Olin’s Graduation website https://olingraduations.wustl.edu.

How will I receive my diploma?

The registrar’s office will coordinate your diploma shipment once your degree is conferred by the Board of Trustees and Chancellor Martin.

• Diplomas will be shipped to your Diploma Mailing Address in WebSTAC. If you do not have a Diploma Mailing Address listed; your diploma will be shipped to your Home Address listed in WebSTAC.
  • Address changes made after Monday, May 20, 2024 at 5:00 p.m. CT will not be captured for diploma shipments.

The university offers certified electronic diplomas to all graduates along with your paper credential. Your certified electronic diploma will be ordered on your behalf and will take approximately 2-4 weeks to receive once diplomas are ordered. Instructions on how to obtain and download your diploma will be sent to your @wustl.edu email address. Your paper diploma will arrive approximately 8 weeks after degree conferral and you will receive notification once your diploma has been shipped. International shipping may take longer. Any additional questions or comments should be sent to diplomaservices@wustl.edu along with your student ID number. Or visit the University Registrar’s website: https://registrar.wustl.edu.

My family cannot make it to the ceremony. Will it be livestreamed for them to watch?

Will I receive my actual diploma during the ceremony?

No. The registrar’s office will coordinate your diploma shipment once your degree is conferred by the Board of Trustees and Chancellor Martin.

Can my family sit with me at the ceremony?

No. All graduates sit together. Guests of the graduates can sit in the bleachers on the lower and upper levels.

How do I sign-up a guest for mobility assistance?

**Not available yet. Check back early spring 2024** Please click here to sign-up for mobility assistance for any upcoming Olin graduation ceremony. The events team will contact sign-ups a week before each ceremony.

Does the university provide wheelchairs for guests attending graduation ceremonies?

We have a limited number of wheelchairs available for WashU graduation festivities on Sunday, May 12, and Monday, May 13. If you need further assistance, please contact the Commencement Office at Commencement@wustl.edu.

My question isn’t listed here. Where can I find the answer?

You can contact either your Program Office or email: olin-graduation@email.wustl.edu.

·