Lunar Meteorite: Miller Range 090034, 090070, & 090075 (paired stones)

Miller Range, Transantarctic Mountains, Antarctica

Miller Range 090034 in that curation Lab at NASA-JSC. Cube is 1 cm. Image credit: NASA/JSC

Miller Range 090070 in that curation Lab at NASA-JSC. Cube is 1 cm. Image credit: NASA/JSC

Miller Range 090075 in that curation Lab at NASA-JSC. Cube is 1 cm. Image credit: NASA/JSC

Lab samples of the 3 stones. The dark areas are impact glass. Image credit: Randy Korotev

Listed in The Meteoritical Bulletin, No. 99

Classification from Antarctic Meteorite Newsletter, Vol. 33, No. 2, 2010

Miller Range 090034 (MIL 090034)

Location: Miller Range, Antarctica

Field Number: 20315
Dimensions: 9.0 x 5.0 x 4.5
Mass: 195.56 g (1 piece)

Lunar-Anorthositic Breccia

Macroscopic Description: Roger Harrington: 35% of the exterior of this sample is covered with a dull olive green fusion crust. The remaining 65% is broken surface which consists of gray to olive green fine-grained matrix with fine cracks throughout. Features visible in the matrix include four white clasts that range in size from 2-5 mm, several 1-2 mm white clasts, and two 15-20 mm orangish-tan areas. The interior of this sample consists of a gray, fine-grained matrix with 1-2 mm white clasts throughout.

Thin Section (,2) Description: Cari Corrigan, Tim McCoy and Linda Welzenbach. The section consists of an extremely fine-grained matrix with isolated, large (up to mm-sized) mineral grains and fine- to coarse-grained anorthosite and basaltic clasts in all size ranges up to 3 mm. Microprobe analyses reveal olivine of Fa36-43, pyroxene in a wide range of compositions from pigeonite Fs23-41Wo4-6 with intermediate and more FeO-rich compositions, and plagioclase of An97. The Fe/Mn ratio of the pyroxene averages ~58. The meteorite is a basalt-bearing anorthositic regolith breccias.

Listed in The Meteoritical Bulletin, No. 99

Classification from Antarctic Meteorite Newsletter, Vol. 33, No. 2, 2010

Miller Range 090070 & 090075 (MIL 090070 & 090075)

Location: Miller Range, Antarctica

Field Number: 20890
Dimensions (cm): 7.0 x 5.5 x 3.5; 137.461; 143.523
Mass: 137.461 (1 piece); 143.523 g (1 piece)

Lunar-Anorthositic Breccia

Macroscopic Description: Roger Harrington. 40% of the exterior of this sample is covered with a shiny olive green fusion crust. The remaining 60% is broken surface which consists of dark green to gray fine-grained matrix with elongate and equant pale green clasts that range in size from 2-7 mm. White clasts ranging in size from 1-2 mm are present within the pale green clasts. Some evaporite material is encrusted on the broken surface. The interior of this sample consists of a dark green, fine-grained matrix with 3-5 mm gray clasts throughout.

Thin Section (,2) Description: Cari Corrigan, Tim McCoy and Linda Welzenbach. The sections consist of an extremely fine-grained matrix with isolated mineral grains and fine- to coarse-grained basaltic clasts in all size ranges up to 2 mm. Microprobe analyses reveal olivine of Fa37-42, pyroxene in a wide range of compositions from pigeonite Fs20-43Wo6-19 to augite of Fs9Wo43 with intermediate and more FeO-rich compositions, and plagioclase of An89-98. The Fe/Mn ratio of the pyroxene averages ~59. These meteorites were found 10 cm apart in the field and are similar enough that only one description is necessary. They are likely paired. The meteorite(s) is/are a basalt-bearing anorthositic regolith breccia.

Randy Says…

Together, these stones are unique and enigmatic. MIL 090070 & 090075 are definitely paired with each other. Compositionally, MIL 090034 is different in several ways but there are also some similarities.

More Information

Meteoritical Bulletin Database

MIL 090034 | 090070 | 090075

Map

ANSMET Location Map

References

Bouvier A., Romaniello S. J., Wadhwa M., Korotev R. L., and Hartmann W. K. (2013) Pb-Pb dating of Apollo 67016 and MIL 090034 lunar impact breccias. 76th Annual Meeting of the Meteoritical Society, abstract no. 5312.

Calzada-Diaz A., Joy K. H., Crawford I. A., Spratt J. and Strekopytov S. (2015) Geochemical analysis and possible launch sites of lunar breccias Miller Range 090036 and Miller Range 090070. 46th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference, abstract no. 1585.

Calzada-Diaz A., Joy K. H., Crawford I. A., Spratt J., and Strekopytov S. (2017) The petrology, geochemistry, and age of lunar regolith breccias Miller Range 090036 and 090070: Insights into the crustal history of the MoonMeteoritics & Planetary Science 52, 3–23.

Korotev R. L. and Zeigler R. A. (2014) Chapter 6. ANSMET Meteorites from the Moon, Thirty-five Seasons of U.S. Antarctic Meteorites (1976–2010): A Pictorial Guide to the Collection (editors K. Righter, R. P. Harvey, C. M. Corrigan, and T. J. McCoy), 101–130, Special Publications 68, American Geophysical Union, Washington, D. C., 296 pages, ISBN: 978-1-118-79832-4.

Korotev R. L., Jolliff B. L., and Carpenter P. K. (2011) Miller Range feldspathic lunar meteorites42nd Lunar and Planetary Science Conference, abstract no. 1999.

Liu Y., Patchen A., and Taylor L. A. (2011) Lunar highland breccias MIL 090034/36/70/75: A significant KREEP component42nd Lunar and Planetary Science Conference, abstract no. 1261.

Martin D. J. P. and Joy K. H. (2014) Lunar meteorites Miller Range 090034, 090070 and 090075: Composition and pairing. 77th Annual Meeting of the Meteoritical Society, abstract no. 5191.

Martin D. J. P., Joy K. H., Pernet-Fisher J. F., Wogelius R., Morlok A., and Hiesinger H. (2016) Using quantitative micro-FTIR spectroscopy to characterise the shock history of feldspathic lunar meteorites Miller Range 090034, 090070 and 090075. 47th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference, abstract no. 1547.

Martin D. J. P., Joy K. H., Pernet-Fisher J. F., Joy K. H., Wogelius R., Morlok A., and Hiesinger H. (2017) Investigating the shock histories of lunar meteorites Miller Range 090034, 090070, and 090075 using petrography, geochemistry, and micro-FTIR spectroscopyMeteoritics & Planetary Science 52, 1103-1124.

McIntosh E. C., Day J. M. D., and Liu Y. (2018) Insights into impactor populations striking the moon from melt coat and regolith meteorite compositions. 49th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference, abstract no. 1022.

McIntosh E. C., Day J. M.D., Liu Y., and Jiskoot C. (2020) Examining the compositions of impactors striking the Moon using Apollo impact melt coats and anorthositic regolith breccia meteorites.
Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 274, 192-210.

Miao B., Chen H., Xia Z., Xie L., and Yao J. (2013) The type, occurrence and origin of symplectites in lunar meteorites. 76th Annual Meeting of the Meteoritical Society, abstract no. 5234.

Nishiizumi K. and Caffee M. W. (2013) Relationships among six lunar meteorites from Miller Range, Antarctica based on cosmogenic radionuclides44th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference, abstract no. 2715.

Nyquist L. E., Shirai N., Yamaguchi A., Shih C.-Y., Park J. and Ebihara M. (2016) Feldspathic meteorites Miller Range 090034 and 090070: Late additions to the lunar crust. 47th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference, abstract no. 1521.

Park J., Nyquist L. E., Shih C.-Y., Herzog G. F., and Yamaguchi A., Shirai N., Ebihara M., Lindsay F. N., Delaney J., Turrin B., and Swisher III C. (2013) Late bombardment of the lunar highlands recorded in MIL 090034, MIL 090036 and MIL 090070 lunar meteorites44th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference, abstract no. 2576.

Shirai N., Ebihara M., Sekimoto S., Yamaguchi A., Nyquist L., Shih C.-Y., Park J., and Nagao K. (2012) Geochemistry of lunar highland meteorites MIL 090034, 090036 and 09007043rd Lunar and Planetary Science Conference, abstract no. 2003.

Zeigler R. A., Korotev R. L., and Jolliff B. L. (2012) Pairing relationships among feldspathic lunar meteorites from Miller Range, Antarctica43rd Lunar and Planetary Science Conference, abstract no. 2377.

Lunar Meteorites | List of Lunar meteorites