The Community Projects Associate will assist with all aspects of Gateway Greening’s Community Project’s program that supports over 200 community, youth, and school agriculture projects in St. Louis City, County, and the Metro East. These community gardens and orchards empower communities to grow their own fresh food and build stronger, more resilient neighborhoods.
Apply for this seasonal position from Mid-May to Early August. This will be 16 hours per week with flexible hours, but two 6-hour shifts during the week and Saturday mornings from 9a to 1p. The Community Projects Associate will report to the Community Education Manager. Pay is $15 per hour.
The mission: Gateway Greening educates and empowers people to strengthen their communities through gardening and urban agriculture.
Essential Functions of the Community Projects Associate:
● Construct awarded materials for gardens such as raised beds, compost bins, benches, etc.
● Assist with the installation of new gardens and orchards
● Weeding, planting, and helping maintain the Gateway Greening Demonstration Garden
● Process and record data related to community projects
● Update database and server, performing data entry with current information as needed
● Assist in any other aspects of the Community Project’s program
● Supervise individual and group volunteers
Desired Skills & Resources:
● Ability to learn new tasks and skills
● Experience or willingness to learn how to perform basic carpentry skills such as cutting lumber, building raised vegetable beds, or constructing compost bins, and related experience using carpentry power tools, including drills, jig saws, and table and hand held circular saws
● Project management skills; ability to collaborate with staff members to achieve organizational goals and objectives
● Ability to successfully prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously with a high level of accuracy
● Solid ability to analyze numbers and manually check calculations
● Ability to perform basic data entry and experience using Microsoft Office Suite
● Ability to deal with people in a sensitive and tactful manner
This position will work outdoors doing extensive manual labor periodically throughout the year. Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions. Must be able to carry heavy objects, climb ladders, move objects from one location to another, and work in a crouched position
● Actively works hands-on to complete horticulture/carpentry related tasks
● Comfortable working in immediate proximity to the general public, in a safe and friendly manner
Required Skills & Physical Demands:
● Driver’s License required
● Ability to operate a motor vehicle
● Ability to work both outdoors and indoors for extended periods of time
● Ability to lift 50 lbs. (i.e., load, unload and move gardening supplies, medium to heavy weight tools and equipment)
● May be required to perform tasks at varying heights (i.e., step stools, climb ladders, etc.)
Frequent local travel throughout the St. Louis metropolitan area is required –
30% or more.
• Must be at least 18 years of age
• Must have authorization to work in the United States as defined by
the Immigration Reform Act of 1986
• Must complete a Missouri State Highway Patrol Background
Gateway Greening, Inc., does not discriminate on the basis of race, color,
gender, religion, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation,
pregnancy, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited
by applicable law.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a
comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of
the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at
any time with or without notice.
To apply please send us a resume and cover letter to
email@example.com. Please do not contact the organization
regarding this open position.