Erik Herzog

Erik Herzog

Viktor Hamburger Distinguished Professor, Department of Biology; Director, St. Louis Neuroscience Pipeline Program

Nigina Aripova

Nigina Aripova

Undergraduate Researcher

I am an undergraduate student interested in biology and neuroscience. I joined the Herzog Lab in September 2022 and I study the role of glucocorticoids in synchronizing circadian rhythms in glioblastoma tumors. Outside of school, I love playing chess and violin, reading, and watching movies with family and friends.

Keenan Bates

Keenan Bates

Graduate Student

I received dual B.S. degrees in Chemistry and Biology from the University of Missouri. My current research aim is to determine how circadian rhythms change/develop over the course of pregnancy in the uterus, placenta, and fetus in vivo. In my free time, I enjoy sharpening my culinary skills.

Sandra Paola Cardenas Garcia

Sandra Paola Cardenas Garcia

Graduate Student

Sandra Paola joined the lab in 2022 as a Neuroscience graduate student. During her rotation she studied the role of ammonia in SCN cell synchrony. In her spare time, she like to swim and draw.

Cara Conforti

Cara Conforti

Undergraduate Researcher

I am an undergraduate planning to major in Biology on the Neuroscience track, and I joined the Herzog lab in January 2022. Currently, I study the rapid splitting of mouse circadian system rhythms in response to enhanced behavioral feedback. Outside of school, I can be found playing guitar and bass, going on road trip adventures, and reading history books.

Kat Czerpaniak

Kat Czerpaniak

Rotating Graduate Student

I am a graduate student in the DBBS Neurosciences Program, and currently rotating in the lab. In 2018, I graduated from Saint Louis University and began working in a lab here at Washu where I studied mouse models of headache disorders. From this experience, I gained an immense curiosity to better understand animal behavior at the cellular and circuit level, in both physiological and disease states. During my rotation, I will focus on studying circadian communication within the motor cortex.  

In my free time, I enjoy running/going on walks, cooking, and listening to music.  

Anna Damato

Anna Damato

Graduate Student

I am a graduate student in the DBBS Neuroscience program studying circadian rhythms in Glioblastoma, a malignant brain cancer, and investigating the use of timed chemotherapy in treating this disease. My work ranges from cellular to human research to address this translational question. My goal is to improve outcome for patients with Glioblastoma and to gain insight into the circadian biology of solid tumors. I am currently a Cancer Biology Pathway Predoctoral Trainee in the Herzog Lab. Outside of lab I am involved in The Biotechnology and Life Sciences Advising (BALSA) Group and the Young Scientist Program.

Miguel Dominguez

Miguel Dominguez

Rotating Graduate Student

I am a graduate student in the DBBS Developmental, Regenerative and Stem Cell Biology Program. I have a bachelor’s degree in biochemistry from Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile. Currently, I am rotating in the lab and learning about circadian rhythms in mice fetuses and gene expression measurement through live imaging. Outside the lab, I enjoy seeing art and hanging out with friends.

Maria Gonzalez-Aponte

Maria Gonzalez-Aponte

Graduate Student

I am a graduate student in the DBBS Neuroscience Program. In 2019, I graduated from the University of Puerto Rico at Cayey with a B.S. in Natural Sciences. After graduating, I joined the Post-Baccalaureate Research Education Program (PREP) at UNC-Chapel Hill where I worked with Dr. Graham Diering studying sleep homeostasis in relationship to Autism Spectrum Disorders and Alzheimer’s disease. Currently, I am interested in understanding the interplay between circadian rhythms, neuroscience, and cancer biology.

Outside of the lab, I enjoy exploring new restaurants, watching TV shows, and planning vacations (especially to Puerto Rico).

Daniel Granados-Fuentes

Daniel Granados-Fuentes

Research Scientist

I received my Ph.D. from UNAM in Mexico City. My research aims to reveal the mechanisms of circadian regulation of olfaction and sleep-wake. I combine multielectrode array recordings, real-time luciferase monitoring, olfactometry, and locomotor assays. Here are some of my recent publications.

Xian Huang

Xian Huang

Undergraduate Researcher

I am a first-year student passionate about Biology. I am following Maria’s research to work to understand the relationships between glucocorticoids, circadian rhythm, and glioblastoma. I was born and raised in China, and then I moved to Australia to complete my high school education. I am fascinated by any type of sword-fighting sports and martial arts, and I am currently working on my Kendo techniques.

Nikhil Lokesh

Nikhil Lokesh

Postdoctoral Fellow

After my baccalaureate in engineering, I earned my Ph.D. from JNCASR, India where I studied circadian clock evolution and chronotypes. As a Humboldt Postdoctoral Fellow in Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin, I explored the role of stochasticity in circadian clocks. Here in the Herzog Lab, I employ theory and experimental techniques to study network connectivity and synchronization of the SCN and seasonality in mice.

My other interests include psychology, philosophy and eastern mysticism.

More about me: https://klnikhil.wordpress.com/

Rohan Rao

Rohan Rao

Undergraduate Researcher

I am a first-year undergrad planning to major either in Biology or PNP.  In my free time, I enjoy playing golf and quiz bowl, as well as watching movies.
Tatiana Simon

Tatiana Simon

Senior Technician

Lari Rays Wahba

Lari Rays Wahba

Undergraduate Researcher

My name is Lari, and I’m originally from Brazil, but moved to New York about 6 years ago. I am a sophomore at WashU studying Neuroscience and Latin American Studies. During my free time, I love to go on runs or walks, and I love to dance.