Zhang Biomolecular Engineering and Synthetic Biology Laboratory
2019 NIH Maximizing Investigators’ Research Award
2017 SIMB Young Investigator Award
2016 Dean’s Faculty Award for Innovation in Research
2016 B&B Daniel I.C. Wang Award
2015 NASA Early Career Faculty
2015 ONR YIP Award
2015 HFSP Young Investigators Award
2015 AFOSR YIP Award
2014 NSF CAREER Award
2013 DARPA Young Faculty Award
2013 ORAU Junior Faculty Award
- Aug 2021: Chris and Cameron’s paper on titin fiber was published in Nature Communications. Congratulations, Chris and Cameron!
- Aug 2021: Kok Zhi Lee Join the lab as postdoc. Welcome!
- Jul 2021: Jingyao’s paper on strong amyloid-silk fiber was published in ACS Nano Congratulations, Jingyao!
- Jul 2021: Dr. Zhang has been promoted to the rank of full professor.
- Jun 2021: Ruixue Zhang, Xinyue Mu and Alden Filko Join the lab as PhD students. Welcome!
- May 2021: Yichao received the EECE Research Impact Award this year. Congratulations Yichao, well deserved!
- Feb 2021: Zhang Lab partners with uFluidix for the manufacture of high precision Microfluidic chip and devices.
- Dec 2020: Han Yu and John Jarger Join the lab as research technicians, and Lucy Zhang joins us a postdoc. Welcome!
- Nov 2020: Congratulations to Chris Bowen, who is now a senior scientist at Pfizer.
Jul 2020: Eugene Kim successfully defended his PhD thesis titled “Bio-Directed Synthesis of High-Performance Mussel-Based Protein Adhesives and Composites”. He is now an Assistant Professor at George Mason University. Congratulations Eugene! Wish you the best in your career.
- Jan 2020: The group has published several research papers at the beginning of this year. Yichao’s work on gene expression heterogeneity, Chris H’s work on metabolite sequestration, and Po-cheng’s work on sucrose production in UTEX 2973. Congratulations to them!
- Dec 2019: Juya Jeon and Xinyuan Chang join our lab as new Ph.D. students. Welcome, Juya and Xinyuan!
- Nov 2019: Chris Bowen’s paper was published in ACS Synthetic Biology Congratulations, Chris!
Oct 2019: Dr. Trent Evans officially joins the Zhang Lab as a postdoc. Welcome, Trent!
Sept 2019: Chris B. successfully defended his PhD thesis titled “A Platform for Microbial Production of Ultra-High Molecular Weight Protein-Based Materials”. Congratulations, Dr. Bowen!
Sept 2019: Yichao was awarded the NIH T32 grant as part of the Genome Analysis Training Program (GATP). Congrats, Yichao!
Aug 2019: Congratulations to Dr. Zhang for receiving the prestigious NIH MIRA Award to study metabolite heterogeneity in bacteria!
Jul 2019: Wenqin’s paper was published in Nature Communications for her work on using synthetic biology to enable protein origami. Congratulations, Wenqin!
Jul 2019: Our lab welcomes 6 selected high school students from the Greater St. Louis metro area this summer! They will be participating in a one-week long Lab Research Experience, funded by NSF, learning about molecular cloning and cell cultivation techniques. Check out the photos on our Outreach page.
Apr 2019: Po-Cheng successfully defended his PhD thesis titled “Metabolic Engineering of Cyanobacteria for Production of Chemicals”. Congratulations, Dr. Lin!
Apr 2019: Bin’s paper was published in Biomacromolecules. Congratulations, Bin!
Dec 2018: Jingyao officially joined the lab as a PhD candidate. Xiaohui also joins us as a visiting scholar & postdoc. Welcome, Jingyao & Xiaohui!
Nov 2018: Eugene’s paper was published in ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces. Congratulations, Eugene!
Nov 2018: Shaojie finished his study in the Zhang Lab and retured to his home school for his PhD defense. Wish him all the best!
Aug 2018: Chris and Bin’s paper was published in Biomacromolecules. Congratulations, Chris and Bin!
Jul 2018: Cameron was awarded a NASA Space Technology Research Fellowship (NSTRF). Congratulations, Cameron!
June 2018: Zhang Lab Alum Yi published his work in Biotechnology and Bioengineering. Congratulations, Yi!
May 2018: Zhang Lab Alums Linda and Carlos published their work in Microbial Cell Factories. Congratulations, Linda and Carlos!
May 2018: Wen successfully defended her PhD thesis titled “Exploring Fatty Acid Metabolism for the Biosynthesis of Non-Natural Chemicals”. Congratulations, Dr. Jiang!
Mar 2018: Weitao Geng officially joined the Zhang Lab as a visitor scholar. Welcome!
Jan 2018: Di’s paper was published in ACS Synthetic Biology. Congratulations, Di!