Courses

Participants will earn 6 WU credits on the WU Healthcare in France Program:

• French 3193: Healthcare in France: Observational Internship
    • Shadow physicians at the CHU Hôpital-Pasteur for four hours weekday mornings
    • Take part in weekly discussion sessions and guest lectures
    • Maintain observation journal throughout the internship
  • French 3720: The Art of Health in Nice
    • Examine French and francophone art forms—including the visual, literary, culinary, horticultural, athletic, and therapeutic arts—and their enduring connection to the unique cultural and geographic context of the South of France
    • Participate in academic excursions to gardens, markets, museums, and more to bring to life the places discussed in class.

Credits: Students will receive a total of 6 credit hours for two courses (3 credits each). The courses can count towards the French for the Medical Professions track and towards the French major or minor at Washington University in St. Louis.

Faculty

Questions should be directed to:
Dr. Kat Haklin, Director of the WU Healthcare in France program

Interested students should contact Prof. Kat Haklin khaklin@wustl.edu for more details on the program and any other questions.

Dr. Vincent Jouane, Assistant Director of the WU Healthcare in France program

Our students say it best

It was a realistic experience.  Instead of just going in to shadow a surgery for a few hours, we were able to see the daily lives of the doctors and students as well, from doing rounds to filling out paper work, and of course a lot of time spent in both consultations and the operating room.

Nathan

I have gained valuable communication skills relevant to my abilities in French as well as to my future career as a doctor.  The best part about shadowing is being able to interact and communicate with patients and doctors.  This experience is not something that can be learned in a classroom.

Kathryn

I no longer have any doubt in my mind as to whether I want to do medicine. I know for sure that this is what I want for my career and my life, and I’m ready to work harder than ever to succeed in it.

Leah