NSF has delayed implementation of the required biographical sketch and current and pending support formats until October 1, 2020. All other PAPPG changes go into effect on June 1, 2020.
A revised version of the NSF Proposal & Award Policies & Procedures Guide (PAPPG) (NSF 20-1) is effective for proposals submitted, or due, on or after June 1, 2020.
Significant changes include:
Must use an NSF-approved format:
- Visit the NSF Biosketch webpage for more information and FAQs
- Find our Tips for Creating the NSF Biosketch
- Using SciENcv for Biosketches and Current & Pending Documents
Synergistic Activities – CLARIFICATION
Should be specific, single activities and not include multiple examples or paragraphs to further describe the activity.
- Acceptable: “Proposal reviewer for four federal agencies” OR “Proposal reviewer for NSF” and “Proposal reviewer for DOE” (separate items)
- Unacceptable: “Proposal reviewer for NSF, DOE, NASA and DOD”
E-mail documentation from a cognizant NSF Program Officer approving submission must be uploaded to with the proposal.
Reason for exclusion of a reviewer is no longer required.
Removed the requirement for Project Description to include a labeled “Intellectual Merit” section.
- Information on complaint submission and resolution must be disseminated to conference participants.
- Must include plan for recruitment of and support for participation of groups underrepresented in science and engineering.
- Must describe plans to identify resources for child/family care.