Showing: All results
Xinyi Liu

Xinyi Liu

DIRECTOR

Xinyi Liu utilizes a range of stable isotopes and archaeobotanical approaches to explore how past societies domesticated, produced and consumed plants and animals, and how they adapted to new environments in the context of the spread of farming.

Zhang Xi

Zhang Xi

VISITING GRADUATE STUDENT

I am interested in the subsistence strategies of prehistoric societies, with a primary focus on human-environment interactions and early agriculture. I currently work on the utilization of plant resources and the spread of rice farming in Neolithic Southeastern China

Yang Liu

Yang Liu

GRADUATE STUDENT

My research focuses on the subsistence strategies on the Loess Plateau of China during the Neolithic-Bronze Age, focus on charred plant remains. My current research focuses on the agricultural development of the eastern Loess Plateau during the Neolithic Period.

Han Jiang

Han Jiang

GRADUATE STUDENT

I am a bioarchaeologist by training. My current research interests concern human health at the animal-human interface in China, specifically addressing how different animal husbandry practices impact the health and disease landscape.

Qimeng Duan

Qimeng Duan

GRADUATE STUDENT

My previous research primarily concentrated on Neolithic agriculture in China, where I utilized carbonized plant remains and phytoliths to uncover insights into ancient agricultural practices in urban centers. Currently, I am shifting my focus to explore plant remains from Copan, Honduras, aiming to gain a deeper understanding of the ancient Maya’s agriculture.

Petra Vaiglova

Petra Vaiglova

POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCHER

I am interested in studying the interactions of humans, plants and animals in past societies. I apply multi-isotopic techniques for reconstructing ancient food production and consumption practices across a range of environments and time-periods. I have worked on sites from Neolithic Greece and Turkey, Byzantine Levant, and am excited to join this laboratory to work on movement of crops across Eurasia in prehistory.

Lucia Diaz

Lucia Diaz

GRADUATE STUDENT

I am a bioarchaeologist interested in understanding how populations subsisted in diverse ecological niches. My current research takes place in southern Peru along the Atacama desert. Specifically, my focus includes human migration and dietary patterns in ancient societies occupying the Andes.

Ximena Lemoine

Ximena Lemoine

GRADUATE STUDENT

I am a zooarchaeologist interested in the origins and effects of agriculture and domestication and am especially interested in the evolutionary and social processes influencing and enabling their development. I use faunal demographic reconstruction, stable isotopic analyses, and ethnoarchaeology to better understand the many contexts out of which domestication arose, as well as the diversity of regional agricultural practices that resulted.

Yufeng Sun

Yufeng Sun

GRADUATE STUDENT

I am interested in early agriculture and the different contemporary agricultural approaches practiced in different landscapes of China and neighboring regions. Through the application of plant stable isotopic analysis, my current research primarily focuses on 1) understanding the water management strategies of the earliest Southwest Asian crops to arrive in China; and 2) the translocation of Chinese domesticated millets into the Eurasian continent.

Xinzhou Chen

Xinzhou Chen

GRADUATE STUDENT

I am interested in the spatial landscape organization of prehistoric Tibetan pastoralists, focusing on the ecological and political logic of pastoral strategies through time. I currently work on a survey project, including topics of: 1) ethnographic survey and predictive modeling of pastoralists central southern Tibet (Shannan); 2) archaeological survey of highland pastoralists in Shannan and Western Tibet.