Yu-Qing Cao, Ph.D., Associate Professor

Yu-Qing Cao, Ph.D., Associate Professor

I received my undergraduate degree in Biochemistry from Fudan University in China and went to US to pursue advanced training. I joined the Anesthesiology Department and the Pain Center in 2006, after completing my training in the fields of pain and ion channel research during my graduate (with Allan Basbaum in UCSF) and postdoctoral work (with Richard Tsien in Stanford), respectively.

Tingting Guo, Ph.D., Postdoctoral Research Associate

I attended the Institute of Materia Medica, at Peking Union Medical College where I earned my doctorate degree. In the Cao lab, my work focuses on using the electrophysiological approach to characterize migraine models and identify novel treatments.

Sun Ryu, Ph.D., Postdoctoral Research Associate

I have a Ph.D. in Neuroscience from Seoul National University where I studied stem cell therapy on the stroke model. In the Cao lab, I am studying the neuroimmune interactions in chronic migraine. In my free time I enjoy walking my dog and doing Pilates.

Leandro Flores do Nascimento, Ph.D., Postdoctoral Research Associate

I have a Ph.D in Neuroscience from Federal University of Santa Catarina – UFSC – Brazil, where I studied the pharmacological activity of natural products in animal models of inflammatory and neuropathic pain. In the Cao Lab, I’m working to understand how changes of neuro-immune system interact to contribute to migraine and others chronic pain, in order to explore novel molecular and cellular targets.

Xuemei Liu, M.S., Research Assistant

Xuemei Liu, M.S., Research Assistant

My name is Xuemei Liu and I work as a research assistant in Dr. Cao’s lab. I got a MS degree from SCAU in China. Currently my research interest is in the project of validating cytokines and their receptors as molecular targets for novel therapy for chronic migraine. And I will use my expertise in immunohistochemistry to compare the expression patterns of individual molecules in meninges under normal and chronic migraine conditions.

Kat Czerpaniak, B.S., Research Assistant

In 2018, I graduated from Saint Louis University with a degree in biology. After graduation, I began my first research experience as a lab tech in the Cao lab where I became very interested in neuroscience research.  I am currently using this time to gain a much knowledge and as many skills as possible to prepare myself for graduate school.  I am measuring behaviors related to acute and chronic post-traumatic headache and testing novel treatment strategies in mice. I plan to apply for a PhD in Neuroscience, and start my doctorate program in the Fall of 2022.

Lily Feng, Research Technician II

Lily Feng, Research Technician II

I am a lab technician for Cao lab. Currently, I am responsible for general lab duties such as inventory and mouse colony management, which includes weaning, breeding, and collection of samples for genotyping. I enjoy doing crafts in my spare time.

Zach Fine, Undergraduate, Washington University in St. Louis

I am a biology major at Washington University on the neuroscience track. I began my research experience in the Cao lab during the summer before my junior year. I was immediately integrated into an ongoing research study measuring behaviors related to mild traumatic brain injury in mice. I have received meaningful hands-on experience and am considering a career in either medicine or neuroscience research after graduation.