Yu-Qing Cao, PhD, Associate Professor

I received my undergraduate degree in Biochemistry from Fudan University in China and went to US to pursue advanced training. I joined the Anesthesiology Department and the Pain Center in 2006, after completing my training in the fields of pain and ion channel research during her graduate (with Allan Basbaum in UCSF) and postdoctoral work (with Richard Tsien in Stanford), respectively.

Zhaohua Guo, PhD, Staff Scientist

I received a PhD in biophysics and then completed my postdoc training at Stanford University. I joined the Cao lab as an electrophysiologist in 2012 where I gained several years’ worth the experience studying ion channels.

Jintao Zhang, MD, Postdoctoral Research Associate

I started my career in clinical medicine when I joined an 8-year program at Southern Medical University in 2011. I joined the Cao lab in 2017 have gained a lot of experience doing behavior experiments. Currently, my work mainly focuses on migraine therapy through balancing the immune homeostasis. In the future I will be an anesthesiologist and continue the research in pain therapy.

Tingting Guo, PhD, Postdoctoral Research Associate

I attended the Institute of Materia Medica, at Peking Union Medical College where I earned my doctorate degree. In the Cao lab, my work focuses on using the electrophysiological approach to characterize migraine models and identify novel treatments.

Sun Ryu, PhD, Postdoctoral Research Associate

I have a Ph.D. in Neuroscience from Seoul National University where I studied stem cell therapy on the stroke model. In the Cao lab, I am studying the neuroimmune interactions in chronic migraine. In my free time I enjoy walking her dog and doing Pilates.

Kat Czerpaniak, BS, Research Technician II

In 2018, I graduated from Saint Louis University with a degree in biology. After graduation, I began my first research experience as a lab tech in the Cao lab where I became very interested in neuroscience research.  I am currently using this time to gain a much knowledge and as many skills as possible to prepare myself for graduate school.  I am measuring behaviors related to acute and chronic post-traumatic headache and testing novel treatment strategies in mice. I plan to apply for a PhD in Neuroscience, and start my doctorate program in the Fall of 2021.

Xuemei Liu, MS, Research Assistant

My name is Xuemei Liu and I work as a research assistant in Dr. Cao’s lab. I got a MS degree from SCAU in China. Currently my research interest is in the project of validating cytokines and their receptors as molecular targets for novel therapy for chronic migraine. And I will use my expertise in immunohistochemistry to compare the expression patterns of individual molecules in meninges under normal and chronic migraine conditions.