Yu-Qing Cao, Ph.D., Professor

Yu-Qing Cao, Ph.D., Professor

I received my undergraduate degree in Biochemistry from Fudan University in China and went to US to pursue advanced training. I joined the Anesthesiology Department and the Pain Center in 2006, after completing my training in the fields of pain and ion channel research during my graduate (with Allan Basbaum in UCSF) and postdoctoral work (with Richard Tsien in Stanford), respectively.

Lily Feng, Research Technician II

Lily Feng, Research Technician II

I am a lab technician for Cao lab. Currently, I am responsible for general lab duties such as inventory and mouse colony management, which includes weaning, breeding, and collection of samples for genotyping. I enjoy doing crafts in my spare time.

Tingting Guo, Ph.D., Postdoctoral Research Associate

I attended the Institute of Materia Medica, at Peking Union Medical College where I earned my doctorate degree. In the Cao lab, my work focuses on using the electrophysiological approach to characterize migraine models and identify novel treatments.

Róli Simões, Ph.D., Postdoctoral Research Associate

I have a degree in Veterinary Medicine by the Federal University of Santa Maria (Brazil), where I also received my master and PhD diploma in Pharmacology. After that I got a position as a post-doc in Neurosciences by the Federal University of Santa Catarina (Brazil).In my researches I focused on clinical and therapeutics approaches in the pain field. In 2022, I got a position at Dr Cao’s lab where I’m conducting projects related to chronic pain, investigate the involvement of GABAergyc system in migraine and the participation of immune cells in chronic stress-pain related. As a future goal, investigate deeply the mechanism that underlying CRPS-I, focusing on immune system and test a treatment based on IL-2 cytokine. In my free time I love play with my cat Claire, play cello, watch my favorite series and read thriller books.

Jintao Zhang, M.D., Postdoctoral Research Associate

I graduated from the 8-year program at Southern Medical University in Guangzhou, majoring in Anesthesiology. During my M.D., I received research training on migraines in CAO lab. After completing my resident training in anesthesiology, I returned to CAO lab for postdoctoral research. Currently, my focus is on studying the neuro-inflammation interaction mechanism in chronic migraines.

Mojdeh  Sarzaeim, M.D., Postdoctoral Research Associate

Mojdeh Sarzaeim, M.D., Postdoctoral Research Associate

I received my medical doctorate diploma from the Tehran University of Medical Sciences in Iran. I joined Dr. Cao’s lab as a postdoctoral research associate because I am passionate about doing advanced research in addition to being a doctor,. My focus is on neuroimmune interactions in chronic migraine disorder in animal model studies.

Scheila Kraus, M.D., Ph.D., Postdoctoral Research Associate

I earned my M.D. and PhD in Neuroscience from the Federal University of Santa Catarina, Brazil. Presently, as part of the Cao Lab, my research endeavors are centered on investigating neuro-immune interactions through animal models of chronic migraine.