Preventing obesity and improving the health of underserved populations through trans-disciplinary research and policy
The mission of the Center for Obesity Prevention and Policy Research (COPPR) is to improve the health of underserved populations by engaging in trans-disciplinary research that discovers new science and integrates it into policies designed to prevent obesity. COPPR is home to outstanding research staff and students and the Center for Diabetes Translation Research.
COPPR is a joint center of the Brown School and Washington University Medical School, and directed by Dr. Debra Haire-Joshu.
- Conduct research designed to eliminate obesity in underserved populations
- Collaborate with national partners to disseminate evidence-based research
- Work with national and state policymakers to ensure the development of evidence-based obesity policy
In collaboration with national partners, COPPR has impacted the obesity epidemic through:
- Training: Over 1,500 educators trained to deliver evidence-based obesity interventions
- Reach: Over 4,000 families have received obesity prevention strategies
- Policy: Over 850 nutrition and physical activity policies have been collected and evaluated for evidence-based content