To schedule a consultation there are two different ways to contact us. Please read our guidelines and recommendations before requesting a service or making a BERD Clinic appointment. Also be sure to register as an ICTS member.
(1) Request Service: Provides intensive statistical support for ICTS investigators and scholars. To request a service, please complete a request form or email us. Upon submission of your request, you should receive an email confirmation that we have received your request. Then, if you do not hear from us within three business days of your request, please contact Ken Schechtman at 314-362-2271 or Rita Fulton at 314-747-0829.
(2) BERD Clinic: Provides regular consultation office hours to ICTS investigators and scholars for a limited level of advice. The clinic is staffed by faculty- and staff-level biostatisticians that will assess the needs of the investigator and refer to appropriate personnel as necessary. Individual meetings can be arranged if additional help is needed.
Some examples of clinic consultations are:
- Getting started with advice on the kind of analysis that is best for your project.
- Basic consultation to facilitate concept formulation of research ideas.
- Discussion of power/sample size issues.
- General pre-application advice.
- Interpretations of results.
- Suggestions for presentation of findings.
- Database and case report form design advice.
- Help with SAS code.
Clinic Time: Tuesdays 9am-12pm, Thursdays 1-4pm
Clinic Location: Division of Biostatistics, Becker Library, Conference Room 510D
Clinic Appointments: Appointments can be scheduled in advance on the web here. No walk-ins. Appointments must be scheduled at least one day in advance. Personnel that staff the clinic rotates among BERD members. Refer to the calendar (July, August, September) for the specification of the staff member available on a given clinic date. If you have problems setting up an appointment, contact Rita Fulton at 314-747-0829 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
With the goal to enhance science, our hope is that successful consultations will turn into collaborative relationships where BERD members are an integral part of the research team. Services available to ICTS investigators and scholars include:
- Support preparation of Protocol/Proposal
- Review scholar projects with CRTC scholars and their mentors
- Triage requests to other appropriate methodological and quantitative ICTS investigators
- Consult with investigators doing their own data analyses
- Conduct data analysis
- Create data management systems for study data
- Consult on creation of study forms
- Available for formal or informal presentations to ICTS investigators
- Develop new instruments
- Coordinating Center for multi-institutional studies
- Available to participate on Data and Safety Monitoring Committees
- Develop new statistical approaches
Please refer to our guidelines and recommendations to enhance your relationship with the BERD.
CTSA BERD services are subsidized for up to 4 hours of the initial consultation by the CTSA grant for the planning of future projects. These services are chargeable for those activities involved in the actual conduct of the research (e.g. data management, data analysis). Charges are $60/hr for staff assistance and $95/hr for faculty assistance. However, finances are not a barrier for assistance if the investigator’s resources are minimal as they may apply to the ICTS Just-In-Time funding program mechanism.