Our goal as a committee is to provide opportunities for Asian Pacific Islander and Desi American (APIDA) faculty and staff at WashU to be in community with one another and say thank you for the work each person is doing. We want our community to feel valued and provide experiences to engage with our Asian identity. Below are examples of the past events we have offered or promoted to 400+ APIDA identifying employees on the WashU Danforth Campus.
Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month Events in St. Louis
|05/02/2021||1:00 – 2:00 p.m.||More Than Miyagi: The Pat Morita Story||Japanese American Citizens League||https://stlouisjacl.org/2021/04/27/more-than-miyagi-movie-discussion-event-on-zoom-on-may-2/|
|5/14/2021||11:30 – 1:00 p.m||WashU and United Provisions Snack Bag||WashU APIDA Faculty and Staff Committee||https://www.signupgenius.com/go/508054cadac2ea2f94-happy|
*For WashU Asian Faculty and Staff only
|05/14/2021||10:30 – 11:00 a.m.||Asia America Storytelling||Missouri HIstory Museum||https://mohistory.org/events/storytelling-may-2-05-07-2021|
|05/20/2021||6:30 – 7:30 p.m.||Stories of Chinese St. Louis: William and Anne Tao||St. Louis Mosaic Project/Missouri History Museum||https://mohistory.org/events/stories-of-chinese-st-louis|
|05/20/2021||6:30 – 9:00 p.m.||Namaste India Grand Opening Celebration||St. Louis Mosaic Project/Magic House||https://www.stlmosaicproject.org/namaste-india-grand-opening-celebration.html|
|May 2021||4 dates||Film Series on Japanese Animation||Webster University||https://webster.edu/film-series/|
|March – August 2021||Continuous||Stories of Resistance||Contemporary Art Museum||https://camstl.org/exhibitions/stories-of-resistance/|
|April – October 2021||Continuous||Origami in the Garden||Missouri Botanical Garden/ Japan America Society of St. Louis||https://events.missouribotanicalgarden.org/origami-in-the-garden|
|January 2021 – January 2022||Continuous||Christine Sun Kim’s Stacking Traumas||Mildred Lane Kemper||https://sites.wustl.edu/christinesunkim/items/stacking-traumas/|
Are you a member of the Asian and Pacific Islander and Desi American staff and faculty community at WashU and would like to get our emails? Please email email@example.com
- March 18, 2021 at 3:15pm CST: Asian Hate Processing Space
- November 12, 2020 at 8am CST: Post Election Check In
An open session for APIDA identifying staff and faculty to touch base and build community
- Monday, June 1st, 2020 at 6pm CST: Anti Blackness in Higher Education: An APIDA community conversation. Christina Yao is a previous Washington University in St. Louis employee Register here: https://bit.ly/2AgN7xn
- Thursday, May 21st, 2020 at 2pm-3pm CST: The Racism Pandemic Town Hall
– A conversation about how institutional racism impacts our communities. Program is hosted by the Center for Diversity and Inclusion. RSVP Here: https://students.wustl.edu/virtual-programs-cdi/
- Tuesday, May 19th, 2020 10am-11am CST: Xenophobia and COVID-19
– A conversation about the climate for Asian and Asian Americans in the wake of COVID-19. Program is hosted by the Center for Diversity and Inclusion. RSVP Here: https://students.wustl.edu/virtual-programs-cdi/
- March 2020: APIDA Happy Hour at the Knight Center:
– Heavy appetizers and drink tickets offered to all APIDA faculty and staff to connect with people across varying department. Participants had the opportunity to add stickers to a world map of their ethnic origins.
- May 2018 & 2019 Asian Chamber of Commerce Dinner:
– 10 tickets provided to APIDA identifying faculty and staff to enjoy a 4 course dinner at the River City Casino
- March 2018 & 2019 & 2020: LNYF at Edison Theater
– Up to two fully subsidized tickets provided to APIDA identifying faculty and staff to support Asian student performing groups. Many staff brought one of their children along to see the performance.
- Summer 2018: Crazy Rich Asians Movie Viewing
– Up to two fully subsidized tickets to movie theater viewing. The whole theater was bought out and filled with APIDA identifying faculty and staff.
- November 2017 & 2018: Diwali at Edison Theater
– Up to two fully subsidized tickets provided to APIDA identifying faculty and staff at WashU to support Southeast Asian student performing groups
- February 2018: Faculty and Staff Luncheon on Danforth Campus
– Lunch offered to all APIDA identifying faculty and staff to connect with people across varying departments and be in community with one another.
*The following pictures are pre COVID-19 pandemic and were taken March 2020 and earlier.