Our goal as a committee is to provide opportunities for Asian Pacific Islander and Desi American (APIDA) faculty and staff at WashU to be in community with one another and say thank you for the work each person is doing. We want our community to feel valued and provide experiences to engage with our Asian identity. Below are examples of the past events we have offered or promoted to 400+ APIDA identifying employees at WashU.
- November 12, 2020 at 8am CST: Post Election Check In
An open session for APIDA identifying staff and faculty to touch base and build community
- Monday, June 1st, 2020 at 6pm CST
Christina Yao is a previous Washington University in St. Louis employee
Register here: https://bit.ly/2AgN7xn
- Thursday, May 21st, 2020 at 2pm-3pm CST: The Racism Pandemic Town Hall
– A conversation about how institutional racism impacts our communities. Program is hosted by the Center for Diversity and Inclusion. RSVP Here: https://students.wustl.edu/virtual-programs-cdi/
- Tuesday, May 19th, 2020 10am-11am CST: Xenophobia and COVID-19
– A conversation about the climate for Asian and Asian Americans in the wake of COVID-19. Program is hosted by the Center for Diversity and Inclusion. RSVP Here: https://students.wustl.edu/virtual-programs-cdi/
- March 2020: APIDA Happy Hour at the Knight Center:
– Heavy appetizers and drink tickets offered to all APIDA faculty and staff to connect with people across varying department. Participants had the opportunity to add stickers to a world map of their ethnic origins.
- May 2018 & 2019 Asian Chamber of Commerce Dinner:
– 10 tickets provided to APIDA identifying faculty and staff to enjoy a 4 course dinner at the River City Casino
- March 2018 & 2019 & 2020: LNYF at Edison Theater
– Up to two fully subsidized tickets provided to APIDA identifying faculty and staff to support Asian student performing groups. Many staff brought one of their children along to see the performance.
- Summer 2018: Crazy Rich Asians Movie Viewing
– Up to two fully subsidized tickets to movie theater viewing. The whole theater was bought out and filled with APIDA identifying faculty and staff.
- November 2017 & 2018: Diwali at Edison Theater
– Up to two fully subsidized tickets provided to APIDA identifying faculty and staff at WashU to support Southeast Asian student performing groups
- February 2018: Faculty and Staff Luncheon on Danforth Campus
– Lunch offered to all APIDA identifying faculty and staff to connect with people across varying departments and be in community with one another.