Speeches & Commentary

Next steps in provost transition

I wanted to follow-up on the news I shared last week that our provost, Holden Thorp, will be stepping down on July 15 to begin a well-deserved year-long sabbatical. Finding the ideal person to assume the role of provost will require thoughtful consideration, a smart and thorough process, and input from a broad range of community members. We are now ready to begin this task, and I want to share with you my plans for moving forward.

We will soon launch a national search for our next provost, to be led by a committee comprising members of our faculty, staff, and Board of Trustees. In the weeks ahead, I will announce the appointment of an interim provost who will serve throughout the duration of the search process, as well as the names of the committee members who will be charged with assisting in identifying and recruiting the very best leaders in higher education as candidates for the position. While these important decisions are under consideration, I will seek out and welcome input from a variety of perspectives, and I hope to engage in meaningful and candid conversations in the course of informing our path forward.

Also over the coming months, we will begin an intensive strategic planning process to craft a roadmap for our future. I am filled with optimism and enthusiasm as we embark on this important next chapter at Washington University. Together, I know that we will continue on our trajectory of excellence.